Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
Does anyone experience intense itching? My husband is having a time of it. Example, his underarms. I'm guessing it is due to the fact that he can no longer lift his arms. Hence, no "air". If someone has a suggestion to help this, please let me know!

yep yep yep yep. I find an ordinary antihistamine like clarityn deals with it. He has all my sympathy

I used gold bond medicated powder. Also, invest in a back scratcher. I think Joelc took a medicine that helped(nuerontin?) Les has been taking it for a month, and his itching has eased up a bit. HUGS Lori

When Andrew was first diagnosed he had intense itching. Of course that was when he was able to itch himself. Now he gets itchy for sure. I read that if your liver enzymes are high..could contribute to itching. I also think the over production of yeast contributes to the itching. Maddening for someone who can't itch himself. I have used every itchy medicine..and benadryl when he is really itch. Another crazy issue with ALS.

I think it has to do with not being able to get enough water, esp in the summer months. I give mom oils with her food in her tube. Olive oil, coconut oil, flax oil, fish oil...and we use coconut oil and lotion on her skin. She scratched her eyelind so hard (because of course her nails are nice and long) it was bleeding. The oils really help.

Yes! And it's driving me insane. I take benadryl (helps me sleep too!), and baby powder has helped a ton esp. with the underarms. I feel like the princess and the pea because anywhere a seam or elastic touches me I get very sensitive. I attribute this to sitting in the PWC all day. Makes it tough to wear underwear! :-O

As nentioned about, I take Neurontin and it really helps alot. I am also finding that washing the itchy area morning and night does a lot to help.

I feel like the princess and the pea because anywhere a seam or elastic touches me I get very sensitive. I attribute this to sitting in the PWC all day.

OH yes oh yes oh yes right there with you. I always knew I was a princess

I have that issue also. I always considered it nerve related, and possibly even a yeast connection. I have a prescription for Neurotin also so will give it a try. My skin is extrememly sensitive also, the reflexes being so overactive is a contributing factor for me.

Thanks everyone! At least we know it's "normal" - whatever that means!

This also happened to me well before I began using a wheelchair or even was diagnosed. I had very red streaks wherever even shirt cuffs or seams rubbed against me. It has stopped. I never thought of it as related to ALS, but it seems most everything is related! Oh, Iris, you are a princess, lol. I just noticed that line. I hope you all have this manifestation of nerve problem end as my own did... Even the diapers pretty much are ok. Except for "Depends", the very most irritating of all I've used.
Ann

This is getting insane with my husband! He actually wants me to use a hair brush to scratch him! There is no rhyme or reason to where the itching occurs.

He's on a prescription to help with the itching and we use God Bond, Dove soap, etc... His skin is very oily, so you would think dry skin would be the problem instead! He has scratched himself (where he can reach) til he bleeds!

It really is a BIG problem with him and I'm running out of options to control this!

Last edited:
It is his nerve ends that are causing the problem. I was going insane until I got on Neurontin.

I feel for him, and you! It is not fun!

I will ask about it at next clinic visit.

Thanks, Joel!

I noticed that my husband is starting to scratch himself until he bleeds, too. I'm going to ask for neurontin at the next clinic, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back