Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
ohio
City
cincinnati
So i had my first big scare with my mom this morning and was just wondering if you have any suggestions on how i can prevent it from happening again. my phone rang and caller id showed it was my mom(i knew my step-dad was out to breakfast with a group of people that he retired with) well, when i answered the phone all i could hear was my mom gasping for air and trying to catch her breath. i didn't know if she was choking or couldn't breath or what. she said nothing at all. i kept calm(trembling on the inside though) and just started talking. kinda having a having a conversation for the both of us and after about 4 mins i finally heard a "yeah" when i asked if she was okay. i've never been so scared in my life. i now realize what could happen to her when my step-dad isn't home and i need a plan of action incase it ever happens for real. i don't have a car and even if i did i live about 30 mins away. she had gotten choked up when my friend called her to say hi from iraq which is why she couldn't talk. she says when she starts crying or laughing she can't stop or speak. i didn't want her to know how much she scared me because i want her to call me anytime even if she can't talk but any suggestions on what i can do or tell her to do when she calls and can't talk just so i know she's okay. whew!

Scary! I've heard that if you are not choking (for real), you will pass out and start breathing normally. Maybe she could have a tapping signal she could use to let you know.

Hi there,

The laughing/crying uncontrollably is called pseudobulbar affect (pba). It's something that happens in ALS and really embarrassing!
I have started on amitryptiline (spelling may not be right)about 10mg and have found it pretty effective. There is another tmt coming soon.

Have you looked into one of those first alert buttons? I think that's what they're called, anyway it's an alarm that she could wear on her wrist or as a necklace. If she needs help, just press the button and the responder will send an ambulance/call you. It might be a stress reliever if she's by herself.

Ugghh! How awful! for her AND you! I would think that talking with the doctor about the PBA Mike27 referred to would be really helpful. You should mention it to your mom and step-dad. I like Missy's idea too...have your mom and you come up with some kind of "code"...if she's ok, then your one sided conversation is just what she needed..maybe just 1 tap. But, if something is wrong - 2 taps - call 911!

Sounds like you kept your head together and remained calm for your mom-VERY IMPRESSIVE!
Peace,
Melody

First of all, letitrain, welcome to our forum hun! So sorry that you had to find your way here though. OMG! If that would have been my dad calling like that, I think I would be scarred for life! You did a really good job and had the right instinct not to panic though. Now, if I was to put myself in your mom's shoes, it would scare me a bit to be home alone. There comes a point that I think that no PALS should be home alone. My dad is still walking (weak though) talking (slurred) and eating (except things like lettuce)...he has had some falls where he had to crawl to another room and try and get himself up by using something to get leverage. This while my mom was out for her daily walk or grocery shopping. Now, if he had fallen and hurt himself, (and he is lucky he didnt since the last fall was backwards against cement stairs) he would have been screwed. Since choking is not a problem yet, I still feel comfortable if he is left alone, so long as he stays put, doesnt try to get cute and try to walk around. Mom is only gone for half hour or so. In your shoes, I would talk to the step-dad and tell him its not a good idea to leave her alone. For me, after that experience if I were her, it would raise my anxiety to be alone, and then that would bring on another choking incident. Good luck hun!
Hugs, Kari

Oh how scarey for you! I have choking episodes so make sure she has a suction machine and a cough assist. I have already lost my ability to speak so I text message everyone. If I am in distress I can notify many family members to call 911. I also have a light writer that can be understood if my cell phone is on speaker. If my situation worsens we will get a life alert system. Hope these idea's help!
Judy

hi i think you done a great job being clam i understand what your going through i've been there with my boyfriend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back