09/2009
Country
US
State
VA
City
Henrico
Hey All -

This is a question about me. I wasn't all that certain where to post it.

Ever since I went to the last clinic appointment with my mom, I've noticed some things going on with me. No, nothing ALS related. I'm not sleeping well at all, the slightest bit of movement (ie washing dishes, putting clothes in the washer, walking around the house, etc) and I'm breathing hard and it takes forever for me to be able to breathe normally, I'm constantly hot and it takes very little for me to sweat profusely (ewwww), my hands have been tingling and getting a little numb. I can't think of anything else at the moment. Does anyone know if what I'm experiencing is an anxiety attack or panic attack or whatever you call them? Oh, the breathing thing happens in the car after leaving the ALS support group thing too.

I was just wondering if any of the other family members or caregivers have experienced this and if I should call my doc about it.

Thank you all for your patience with me...

Linda,
That's one of the reasons Kelly and Andrew call it the "doom and gloom" clinic.

About a week after my wife was diagnosed she had a similar episode. She really thought she was having a heart attack. After all tests came back the diagnosis was in fact an anxiety attack. They gave her Zanax for it, but that just knocked her out. Probably should get it checked out though, stress can cause all sorts of bad stuff to happen. There are lots of less potent drugs out there that can help.

As for the sleeping.....my conversations with others lead me to believe all us of suffer from that. Worry, constantly listening to the PALS breathing for signs of trouble, being too tired to sleep, all contribute to the vicious cycle. I still suffer from it, if not on a daily basis at least a few times a week. Lack of sleep also causes lots of other stuff to be magnified and can in fact cause illness in and of itself.

Take care of yourself, sounds trite and pretty much undoable given the situation but try, the best you can anyway.

Dick

Hi Linda. Could be hyperventilation but I'd be going to the doc's to get it checked. Not sure how old you are but they might want to give you a stress test. Don't want to scare you but a couple of those symptoms could be heart related.

AL.

Al - just so you know, I'm 44.

Dick/Al - I think I'll take your advice and give the doctor a call.

Thanks! :)

Hi Linda,

Same thing happened to me. I went to the doctor, and sure enough, it was anxiety attacks. I was prescribed adivan (generic - lorazapam). The funny thing is that since I have it in my purse (got it in March), I've only had to take it once (and it works!). Just knowing it's there makes all the difference. I've chosen not to take it to help me with sleep. I want to be alert if something should happen.

Don't be surprised if it's an anxiety attack. (get checked anyway as per what Al said)
I've had panic attacks for a little more than a year and was told that as one who has been told of a life altering disease or having a loved one told, you can suffer post-traumatic stress disorder. It's not just a soldier's problem and totally treatable.

My doc put me on ativan like missy, but had a real difficult time coming off them.

I might blog about this as it is an important topic.

Not to minimize things, but it reminds me of my wife's symptoms with menopause. The hot flashes and sweating, anyway. Not sure about breathlessness. Anyway certainly worth getting checked out.

Interesting, Hal. I was thinking anxiety until I read your post. You should have your hormones checked...unfortunately anxiety can be a big part of menopause too! Hope your dr has some help for you,

There are a lot of could beeez.

It could be "the change"
It could be anxiety
It could be something internal

For the above , I think it would best to visit the doc.

Now, it could be other things like: :twisted:

- Your Mom is silently gassing you with methane in the car.
- Kay Marie has released her flying monkeys after you.
- You stopped wearing your tin-foil suit to bed and the aliens are virtually having their way with you.
- You work a little, You eat a little, You tend to your mom a little. Dont you think its time to get a little ?

this is definately something i would go have checked out it could be many things i hope all works out

Glen, you sum things up so well :)
Linda, I have experienced some of what you describe , we are the same age , and I too have a parent with ALS. I did follow up with my Dr and there were some physical issues, I too put it off to anxiety/stress whatever as I didnt feel I had the time nor the energy to "be sick". However, it was very succinnctly pointed out to me by my husband that if I didnt look after me, how could I look after anyone or anything else( a little reality check!). So all this to say that it warrants a visist to your Dr and if the possible physical causes are ruled out, then you can work at addressing the anxiety/stress. Look after yourself, or you wont be able to look aftre anyone else. My Dr used the airplane anaolgy: you need to put your o2 mask on first before you can help anyone else because if you passout your no help to anyone!

Susan

Thank you everyone for all your posts!

Menopause...hmmm....according to my ob/gyn it's not that, so I think we can rule that out, but I do want to thank you for that possible problem, Hal! You are correct, it does sound a bit like that.

Glen, thank you for your seriousness as well as the humor. As I read your list, I chuckled, thinking it might be all those things! I've been gassed, attacked by monkeys and aliens and I'm not getting any...by jove...I think you're right! :)

Susan, your husband is correct. I can't look after my mom if I'm not well. I plan to call my gp tomorrow and get an appt.

Thank you all, again, so much! Maybe I'm not as crazy as I thought...well, I did say maybe... :)

Love you all!

I'm so glad this topic came up. I'm 44. My older brother is dying from ALS, and I'm so anxious about whether it's familial and whether I have it, too. I keep getting twitches everywhere -- like little electrical shocks, my big toes are cramping up and feel weird, and at night I get leg and foot cramps. I'm only a moderate exerciser, so I don't think I'm overdoing it. I've noticed no loss in strength or fatigue, and my limbs all work fine. I knew as soon as he got his diagnosis that I'm the type of person who would fixate on it (I guess I have a morbid fascination with malfunctions of the human body). I'm not trying to be funny -- just being honest. Anyway, I'm going on vacation tomorrow, and like many of you, I have a "just in case" stash of xanex. I think I'll relax and treat myself and see if my symptoms disappear.
I'm very grateful for ALS support forum. This nasty disease affects more than our loved-ones' bodies -- it messes with our heads, too.

I also have some Xanax .25 that I take 1/2 of when it is "those days" so it doesn't make me so sleepy but takes the edge off. And it does work having it in the bottle on the counter too. I guess it is the placebo effect knowing its there if I need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back