kelly

Country
US
State
ny
City
saratoga springs
Hello Everyone...
My hubby's bi-pap often gets very moist during the middle of the night ..even when on the lowest setting. Sometimes it gets so loud that I have to disconnect the hose and let some water drain out. There is always water still left in the tray in the morning. He seems to be getting some congestion and worrying that it is from to much moisture. Is this normal for the bi-pap to get really moist? Wondering if it needs to go to the repair shop?
Thanks everyone,
Kelly

Different people need different degrees of moisture. Have you tried leaving the humidifier off? I know some PALS that don't need a humidifier.

Kelly, is the humidity high in your area? If the ambient air is very humid already then adding more moisture with the humidifier oversaturates the air and causes moisture to drop out. I agree with Joel, try it without the humidifier and see how that works.

Warm moist air in a cool room causes my hose and mask to get wet. Try warmer room or you could make a sleeve for bipap like Rose has in her profile pictures.

AL.

I keep water in mine, but do not turn the heater on. I have to keep my mouth dry as possible......

We had the same problem a couple of weeks ago Kelly...for us it was definitely the humidifier. We were leaving one of the bedroom windows open on some 75 degree nights just for a breeze to blow, and between the humidifier and the temperature difference inside the house and out, it caused some condensation to form in the hose.

Chris

I think its called rainout ~ seems like that's the techy term. Has to do with the contrast of temp between room temp, and air in hose. Patty (hopingforthebest) told me she'd tuck George's hose under the covers with him, and it prevented the problem. Like Al said, the hose insulter works, for me at least. Online CPAP supply houses sell them, but it seems like I remember you having someone in the family who sews... easy peasy lemon squeezy to make. I was keeping my humidifer set on 4 throughout the winter, but it stays on 3 now.

Rose is correct - condensation in the hose will pool at the lowest part of the hose. When enough collects , it gurgles.

Al has also mentioned the two remedies: warm up your room or wrap the hose . Make the wrap big enough for the hose to slide through easily, and put some velcro at the mask end to keep it snug on the hose.

Glen

Glen

The velcro is a good idea, I had a little velcro strap. Even bigger point is making the insulator large enough for the hose to slide through with ease. I did not take that into consideration, but compensate (the rubber ends grab the fabric) by wrapping one end with aluminum foil when I'm taking the cover on or off, that way it slides past the end with no hangups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back