Loved one DX
Country
UK
State
Cleveland
City
Cleveland
Hi,
I have been looking through the posts on these forums for months, looking for answers but not quite sure what my questions where, but the time has come that I need to find out more.
My grandad was diagnosed with MND in November 2009. After a horrendous week or two, with him not getting out of bed, not eating etc he was finally admitted to hospital (although the doctors kept telling him all the things that were happening to him were down to old age). After 2 weeks of tests, he was diagnosed with MND.
Since the diagnosis he has had to go into a care home, as he lived alone and was struggling with everything. My grandad hasn't and won't accept that he has motor neurone disease. He shouts at anyone that refers to it as a disease. He has been through alot in the past few months, in and out of hospital and has had to cancel his appointments to the MND clinic, so he hasn't actually seen anyone for advice and support about the things that are happening to him.
It is crazy, that in 7 months since his diagnosis he is now bed ridden, he has a breathing machine throughout the night, which at first he hated, but has now become to rely on it. He speaks as though he is drunk, but in the past week, it seems as though it is taking up too much energy trying to talk, so would rather sit quiet. He has developed an awful attitude, he has given up trying to do anything for himself, complaining 'I can't do it' and he demands that everyone does everything for him. He only thinks about himself these days. Is this part of MND? he seems to have had a complete personality change. My grandad was never like this, he always wanted to laugh and make others laugh. I know it is alot for him to come to terms with, seen as though only a year ago he was living at home going about his daily tasks and now he can't even roll over in bed without getting out of breath.
The scarey thing is, is that things are only going to get worse.

Please let me know if you can relate to this story, I just want some advice and support from anyone. The time has come where we can not go through this alone any more.
Thank you :)

Cinderella,

I think it would be helpful for you to look up articles on the 5 stages of dying or experiencing any great loss. You may be able to relate to the place your grandfather finds himself in. He is grieving all the abilities he has lost or is losing. Denial is the first stage.

He is very fortunate to have someone who cares like you do. Be patient and don't take anything personally. He is just coping the only way he knows how to. Take care of yourself - you need to be there to advocate for him.

Welcome to the forum. You are not alone. There are many here who can relate to this sad situation and help you get through it with grace.

Northern Dancer

I am so sorry you and your family are having to worry about his as well as the MND. Hopefully, your grandfather will accept the diagnosis. You always have an ear here. This forum is wonderful. Every question or emotion has been experienced by someone. Welcome.

Cinderella :)
I am sending you a big hug and to let you know that I am here and all these amazing people on the forum are here for us all. I am new here - I am a partner and caregiver to a wonderful man who has Bulbar ALS. We are walking on a new path - I am so grateful that we all have people who are walking with us. Take care!

Thank you for the messages. It's nice to speak to somebody who understands :)

hello everyone I have trouble with my emotions I used to keep my emotions inside I never cry in front of people but now i cry very easily I hate being such a cry baby. Does any one else have this problem?

Hi Flower:) Welcome to the forum. This is called lability. It can be part of ALS. There are medications that can help. Ask your doctor. My husband (PALS) takes an antidepressant.
Sharon (swi71)

When I first got ill I would tease my husband that EL should be called emotional liability instead. So now we always refer to it that way.. I even said it to my neuro once, he really gave me a funny look.. But to me it is forever EMOTIONAL LIABILITY...LOL... another thing this disease keeps giving..

My husband has EL, too. It really doesn't cause much of a problem for him. He does take an anti-depressant, though.

Welcome Buddha Nature, **Cinderella** and flower! We are an advice and support forum so you have come to the right place.

Hi Cinderella
I am fairly new to the forum too and so far have found it very comforting to talk to others experiencing this very tough road ... I actually have MND and have found that reading about the illness and the as suggested 5 stages of dying did help me a great deal ... your Grandads illness has been fairly rapid as you said probably giving him little time to adjust to each step along the way ... none of us plan on dying this way and sometimes denial is the only way some can cope... only he can accept this when he is ready , i know this must be extremely difficult for you but bear with him and give him the most important thing we all need .. love and care ...warm wishes to you and your family :) karen

My mom has the EL - however, it happens with her when she's laughing. She'll either laugh at an inappropriate moment or when she laughs at something funny, will not be able to stop. Fortunately, it hasn't happened much at all with crying.

Welcome to all our new friends on this forum....this I can truly say is my lifeline. I come here just about everyday. Sometimes because I am having a horrible day, sometimes to just visit with friends, for advice. You will find that you will also love this new family you have found......live for today and find something special in each one! Hugs, Linda

Linda, I come here almost every day, too. For all of the same reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back