Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
We live in a neighborhood that has long time neighbors. We pretty much know who belongs and know most people by name.

Today we had a stranger come to our house. Our son was outside playing with his friends. This stranger told him that his daddy had called him to come work for him around the house. Of course that was a lie (he can't even talk on the phone dumbass). Well, a nine year old isn't going to know this adult is a liar or a con. Blah, blah, blah... looking for Mr. so and so. We had a neighbor at our house and he told him he must be in the wrong neighborhood, no one he knew had the name of the guy he was looking for. The neighbor had his "number."

Later, during the evening, my husband was out in his PWC. We live on a corner lot, so we have a stop sign at the corner of our yard. There was a car parked in our yard at the stop sign, lights off. My husband watched them for about 20-30 minutes. When a car would come down the road, they would put their flashers on, then immediately turn them off. He finally went down and confronted them (mind you, I had NO IDEA he was doing this). He asked them if he could help them with something and they said (stupidly) they were waiting for someone. And of course he asked who they were waiting for and they couldn't give him an answer! He suggested they leave NOW or deal with the police. (believe me, the POlice come right away here!) They left!

Upon calling other neighbors, it turns out this guy was using all sorts of excuses for knocking on doors; selling something or looking for someone that had wanted work done!

So, now my son is scared, I'm scared and my husband is pissed off that he can't protect us! I'm good with a gun, but I really don't think one would be useful unless I wore it like a gunslinger! LOL "Oh wait, let me get my gun!" Prefer the Airedale alternative! I miss my Britches Beowolfe Bearclaw. She was a real protector! Chewed up the whole living room, but I would give anything to have her back! She was a great 'dale!

Y'all have a guard/watch dog?

We've got a dog, but he'll love you to death, even if you're coming in to steal everything in the house. Damn worthless piece of dog flesh. LOL Anyway, we had a similar situation a few years back, somebody in a green Jeep Cherokee parked up the street for a LONG time. I finally got in my car and SLOWLY drove up towards it. They drove away and I followed them for several miles, making sure they knew I was following them. Never saw that Jeep again. If you see that vehicle again call the Police. Let them do the interrogating, the impact is more impressive coming from someone in uniform.

A lot of our neighbors have dogs that bark at everything. We have an airedale on the corner, four pekenese across from us, 2 chuiauwaws next door, a pit bull and a lab, another lab and 2 schnauzers. They bark everytime I take our dog out, and we know when someone comes to the door. Sadie is not much of a barker, but she would protect us. I would call the police anyway, just in case other neighborhoods have reported suspicious activity. By calling the police and making a report, your son may feel safer. HUGS Lori

Have a dog just like Dick's! lol she is a German Shepard. She just looks out the window and people stay away. She never barks unless the cats are looking at each other or playing together. I think you should put in a report to the police. They may want to patrol your area for a while.

That's funny KeeKer, ours is a Shepard too (not sure whether it's German or Australian but it's definitely a Shepard). And here I always though they were a breed to be afraid of!

I'm calling the county police tomorrow to make a report.

Still want a BIG dog that's not just a herder! LOL Ruff! Ruff! Timmy's down the well, but go ahead and take everything you want while I help you find the door! That's our Collie. She's insane!

Airedales are the KING of terriers. Once they latch on, they ain't gonna let go... Hope I can get one. They are not cheap, but they are so sweet, funny and ferocious at the same time. My husband has wanted one so badly. Britches was his favorite dog in the world.

We had a chance last month to get one, but you know how it is...$$$ Now I don't care! If it will make him feel better, we'll get one! Perhaps not a pup. Have to look into it.

Anyway...cops will be informed of the activity!

My neighbor got hers at the local animal shelter. Our Sadie is half lab and half border collie. She kind of looks like the pic you got from Irismarie. Well she is my profile pic. Check into rescue groups for Airedales. I am sure they have them for that breed. A puppy would be tough. HUGS Lori

Yep, and if pos get an airedale X because the way airdale shave been bred with those straight legs causes terrible rheumatism

Sheperds don't have to be tough! lol They just have that reputation. Apparently mine looks vicious? ! Go figure! You're right about them Dick. It's all in the looks not the personality!:)

We have a German Shepherd mix that we got from the pound. She is such a sweetheart but she barks at everything. To be honest though, if she really got a hold of someone she'd probably just drool on them. But THEY don't know that! She looks vicious! Although she'd never let anyone hurt any of us--she'd probably rip there arm off. She came in pretty handy when my husband was gone for 6 months and it was just my daughter and I!

Here is a picture of Colleen's (KeeKer) vicious watchdog Poochie! :D:D

7503-poochie++christmas-albums249-arent-i-adorable-picture1656.html

Attachments

• user7503_pic1656_1263408186.jpg
    user7503_pic1656_1263408186.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 262
I'd love to have a Doberman Pinscher. They look scary but love just "being" with their people and won't let anyone attack...but mine would NOT have cropped ears or docked tail. Until working for our vet a couple of decades ago I was afraid of the breed, but found out they are great dogs. I also saw first hand how painful that cropping and docking is for the pups.

Sigh... but I do have Charlie next door, and "Charlie's got a gun.":roll:

Cj,
We have a English Setter. He stays in the yard that is not fenced. He is fiercely protective of me. He only barks when he sees something out of the ordinary or if SOMEONE comes to the house. He would definately gnaw on someone if I told him to do it and yet, all I need to say to stop his barking and snarling and slobbering is "It is OK. This is a friend" and he turns into the most loveable, velcro dog. The down side is that he has a thick undercoat and sheds. Love him to pieces.

What kind of gun do you have? I had a 22 Smith and Wesson that I LOVED! Ex husband [Mr. Law Enforcement] got it. arggg Here is my advice from one Annie Oakley to another. Shoot to kill! Forget all that nonsense about aiming for a leg or an arm. Aim at the head and then fire another round in the chest. Then drag their sorry a** into the house and call 911. There is nothing worse than be threatened in your own home. It is such a violation. I had a farm on John's Island, SC and lived there alone with my nonaggressive Weim. I was being stalked. One night mr a**hole cut the screen to break into the house and get me. The dog barked, I called 911 and got my pistol. They told me it would be 30 min before they could respond. I told them not to bother, just send out the Coroner. He heard me and fled. The next week I went outside and did 30 min of target practice where I could be seen from the road. My housekeeper was a nervous wreck! I told her to make sure that she put it out on the island grapevine that Miss Kay Marie was going to shoot the next sorry a** that stalked her or broke into her house. Never had another issue on the Island. :] Make sure you talk to little guy about Stranger safety and lock all your windows and doors. Do you have that alarm button on your key for the car? Take that with you and have it next to the bed. It makes a hellious sound if someone is breaking in-sounds like an alarm system! xo

CJ -

I would send you my (found on the side of the road) Rottweiler - but he's got no front teeth - he came that way - someone somewhere was not very kind to him - but he did manage to escape and cross paths with me. I've been called "the one who collects dogs". I didn't have the heart to turn him in so I kept him. His looks are intimidating though - the delivery guys won't get out of their truck when he's out. He truly is all bark and no bite.

PLEASE get a dog or better still dogs from the pound. You are saving their lives and they will repay thousan fold. I have my three (till recently four) dogs who have never bitten anyone in their lives and LOVE people but they bark in a crowd at the gate at anone unknown (let's face it, at anyone who dares move within 100 yards of the house and everyone is terrified of them. Even Vincent:)
And two dogs are easier than one as they are happier and keep each other company if you have to be out for long.
They are the best protection..........without risking going on a murder charge.
Kay Marie, you are amazing. Please write your life story.
Love love love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back