Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
he can keep his falls from me! The guy, I guess, will learn the hard way. You'd think he'd be so very cautious, since he's broken both feet at one time then six months later broke his leg. OUCH! That was shortly before diagnosed.

He is so stubborn! He was up in the attic yesterday (yes, the same attic that he's fallen through into the kitchen! LOL) and I hear the big tumble, expecting him to fall through the ceiling again! i yelled up to ask if he had fallen - NOOO! YESSS! Our son was trying to help him connect some wires and described it perfectly, "Mom, he picked up one foot to walk and then the other and he just went down." Thank God he just had a small goose egg with splinters on his forehead and a skinned knee! I had already told him I didn't want to have to call 911, as I can't get into the attic!

So what does he do today (after I've washed him up!)? He takes the lawn mower, that he precariously operates, down to the WWII vet's house to mow his grass. He's trying to re-pay him for building a wheelchair ramp to our front door ( and he loves the guy). He comes back with skinned knuckles, arm and leg. Duh? Did you fall? NO. OK, yes I did.

This all before he was to go out of town with his friend at noon! Clean up on isle 4!

AAARRRGGGHHH!

Last edited:
CJ I love your stories about your hubby. What a wonderful spirit he has has--I still chuckle when I think of the culvert story. He is a hero in my eyes.
Laurel

Thanks for sharing that story...oh how hard it is to give up things that used to be so easy...I want to do things too. Even when it is soooooooooooo hard ..... It is that once we give up and give into it we know it is gone forever...I love his spirit too...hugs,Linda

Brooksea, we are soooo in the same boat with our husbands! God love 'em. My Mama always says that it never matters a man's age, religion, or cultural background - if he's a husband, there are certain things that are the same - she calls it the rules of the Husband Union. Since she and Daddy celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary this past March - I usually pay attention to her opinions on the subject of husbands. :) My husband also hid falls from me - I found out about the first of them in the emergency room after he fell and broke his femur in 2007. He was so out of it with the morphine drip that he didn't realize he was telling the ER Dr - "don't tell Mary, but this is the 4th or 5th time I've fallen - but first time I broke anything" - and of course I was standing right there beside the gurney and heard every word - He's such a caution.

OMG, my husband is the same. Thanks for sharing. The only way I know he has fallen sometimes is that the lens in his glasses are broken. Last week he had several falls and finally called "Help!" after falling down the stairs. Thankfully our daughter heard him, but I was sound asleep. So far bumps, bruises, neck injury, scrapes etc, but no broken bones, thank goodness. I admire his determination, even though I think I will go nuts eventually from worrying.
s.

We too have worried so about the falls that Dad's taken! Thankfully he's never broken anything. I think the most maddening was when he finally moved to a walker, but would try to take stairs with it! Oh my!

He's now full time in his powerchair - thank God! We don't have to worry about him falling anymore! But, man are men stubborn! Hee hee!

CJ-

You really have your hands full with that guy!:lol:

lol! Us guys don't give up easy!

CJ,

I know it isn't funny but I have to laugh.....you definately have your hands full !

CJ, I think your hubby needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap or be dressed up like a hockey player!

This husband is very careful even though it kills me to not do "guy stuff". It helps that I am basically lazy but all the same I have been told to leave things alone.

No falls that hurt anything for me yet and I am using my walker and transport chair more and more now.

We probably admit to more, but I confess, I've hidden as much stupidity as possible from Phil, including falls. Barry, Phil offered to wrap me inside the wheelchair, all in bubble wrap, but I really think it had more to do with the woodwork than with me... at that moment.

Barry, we know you aren't lazy, basically or otherwise. You may be a "quick learner" however.

CJ... through the ceiling, huh? I remember as a child when my father did that. We thought it was pretty funny at the time. NOT when it's your husband with ALS, however.

If you wrap yourself (or have someone do it for you) in bubble wrap, not only will your falls be softer, you may also lose a bit of weight!

Kim, that is so funny. Now, How in the world did you know I'd done that? I think it was Saran, lol.

I am picturing your husband wrapped up in foam padding like that dorky little kid in Little Giants, and you like the Mom. I also remember the culvert story, but feel guilty laughing about it!

He (whatever his name is) will always be "Culvert Man" to me! And I don't feel any guilt at all!

Stay safe Culvert Man! :grin::grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back