Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Little Elm
My ALS family member has little use of his hands. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what can be used to get my attention in another part of the house? His voice does not carry anymore. We have tried, a whistle, and a dinner bell.
Any suggestions would be helpful....:)

My mom uses a wireless doorbell. She keeps the doorbell button in a pouch on her walker. They have another one in the garage also. If my mom needs something she just pushes the button and gets my fathers attention.

Dana

I second the wireless doorbell.

Wanda keeps the ringer with her (about the size of a cigarette pack) and I have the button velcroed to my pwc or my bed

Works for up to 75' away.

We also have a wireless doorbell. We keep it tied to Earl's wrist. He has little to no use of his hands, but it is still working for him. We found that by having it attatched to his wrist he can push it without moving much.

A wireless doorbell...ingenious! I love this group. It's so nice to share and go through this with others who understand.

A wireless doorbell sounds like an awesome idea! Forgive my ignorance but where would you find one? I would love to get one for my mom to put on Gertrude, her walker. Mom is living at home with my dad and the house is fairly large and my dad doesn't hear all that great. My parents discovered that their phones have an intercom system and they've been using that but I would like her to have something right next to her. Thanks for the idea. :lol:

we use walkie talkies when my husband is out and about the yard. He just hits the paige button (which is fairly big on ours...).

Hi we faced the same problem with the hands and arms going first. We initially bought a wireless doorbell from a large chain hardware store called Bunnings(Melbourne Australia). Not sure of the equivalent in the USA. Later the motor neurone disease association provided us with a loan of a"jelly bean". It is a large round button that is attached by a cord to a conventional wireless doorbell. The advantage is that he can activate it by simply pressing on it with his foot. He has it in bed with him always so that if I am in the kitchen or even if I am sleeping too soundly, he can easily get my attention. When he sits on the side of the bed I put it on the floor so he can activate it with his foot. If you have a local motor neurone disease assoc perhaps enquire if they have an equipment library?

Linda,

You can find wireless doorbells in just about any hardware store and I am sure also online. You can get them so you can get extra receivers if you have a large area to cover.

Dana

Hey Linda, try Walmart, they seem to have the best price hun!
Hugs, Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back