Status
Not open for further replies.

COlisa

Distinguished member
OK, we are to the point where frequent transfers to commode are just not possible, so hubby is trying condom catheter. I have some specific questions (stop reading now if you are offended by frank discussion of the subject.)

Some of these questions might seem stupid, but I really don't know any of this....

1. How long do you leave the condom on? All day? 2 days?
2. How do you know it is time to change the condom cath?
3.How do you turn someone in bed who has a condom cath and a bag?
4. Do you change bags every time they get urine in them or do you empty and use for longer? How long?
5. Do you leave the condom on when you put them on commode to do bowel movement?
6. Do you connect condom to bag BEFORE or AFTER you put the condom catheter on?

I have a million more questions, but let's start here :).

Thanks!
Lisa

Lisa
I just KNEW you were going to ask how to put it on!
Your best bet is to call the medical supplier of the product. Normally the condom cath is changed daily. Very important to wash and DRY the penis before applying. If you see any redness or skin tears stop using until it heals. It is sometimes necessary to trim pubic hair at the base to decrease discomfort and make a better seal. You attach the drainage bag to the condom cath after the condom cath is applied. You empty the drainage bag at least every 8 hours or more as needed. The urinary drainage bags should be changed once a week. Again, the supplier will tell you how many you will get that medicare or insurance will cover the cost of. Yes, leave the cath on if they have a BM. Position changes are little more tricky. Just remember that it is now just an extension of his body and make arrangements for it before you transfer of do position changes. Does that help? Kay Marie

Yes, it helps alot!

Oh yeah...I forgot to ask....how do you put it on? Just kidding. I got that far and it seems like at least a partial erection is necessary, as i can't imaganie that it could work anyother way? Advice please if you have it.

I am having trouble with attaching the drainage tube/bag to the condom. It seems like it takes alot of effort (or maybe I am just bad at it!) and I don't want to hurt him. Any tips about how to get the tubing to easily attach? Or maybe tubing I have is smaller than it should be?

We just ordered samples over the internet and gota bunch of kinds.

Also, he went to bed with it on, seemed secure, but it was off this morning. He still has me turn him during the night, so is it possible that it just got moved around so much that it came off?

THANKS!
Lisa

Lisa, the end of the condom cath we will call the "boy" part and it should fit nicely into the "girl" part of the tubing for the drainage-snug but not difficult. Applying it, make certain he is clean and DRY, gently put just a little traction on him and have it at a 90 angle if he is laying down- Does that make sense to you? These condoms do not stretch so you want to avoid erections or it will be impossible to get it on correctly. [I can just hear our Glen's mind whirling and his fingers itching to get typing on this thread! lol] You just have to be really aware of the cath beofre, during and after moving or transfers. Another possibility is when he is sleeping on his back to pad him and put the urinal between his legs if the cath falls off in the night. So much easier to show than tell! Glen, be nice now. She is serious. But then again, Glen always lightens our moods and makes us laugh!

Can't vouch for this personally, but I talked with somebody who used electrical tape successfully to keep it on at night

OMG! I would be very hesitant to use electrical tape, duct tape or anything but what was ordered with the cath! Can you even imagine trying to get that off! You may have nothing left to put the condom on! YIKES

Yea, Kay Marie! Once again, you saved the day. We are beginning this dance as well. Home Health came out and trained me on it. It was wonderful for one day. But, we are moving onward and working things out, so to speak. I'm glad you've got the 4-1-1 on things. Now I know who to ask!

J woman! How are you? sending you xo's

hmmm...ok...I have no training, and no help, just a bunch of condom catheters, extension tubing, and bags from Allegro Medical. Not even any instructions about how to put them all together.

The part on the condom is the "boy" part? We got some tubing and leg bags, and I cobbled them together, but clearly must have done it wrong? oh my. The tubing and bags are Bard brand. Geez, every new thing is a constant guessing game......I have NO IDEA what I am DOING!

COLisa~ Is there a local Home Health agency available to help you get started? Is there a possibility the condoms and the tubing are not compatible? We have had a brand from Home Health and a brand from a local medical supply and they are very different. When Greg gets up in the morning, I will look at his supplies and see if either brand is one we have. I've only tried this a few times but can't "see" it right now.

Lisa, For my husband we use a plastic urinal - he fills it, I empty it. For now, it works fine for us. Maybe this could be an easier option for you guys.

Lisa, we use a "Texas" catheter, and a hanging collection bag. We have been using them for over a year. We had quiet a few laughs while learning how to use them, cause like you we had no instructions. We have found that putting it on while he is fully "down" works the best. I put it on then stretch "him" out and wrap it with a self-adhesive bandage. Now you will have to find your own way to make sure that you move fast enough to keep "him" "down" while putting the cath on. We have found that it's a race, and if I loss I get to try again later!

The self-adhesive bandage that I mentioned is kinda like an "ace" bandage only disposible. I get the stuff I use from the nearest farm supply store. the stuff is for horses legs. It comes in a roll that's 4" wide. We cut off a 5" piece then cuth e piece in 2-3 strips. It is a lot cheaper that what you can buy in the med section on a store. It comes in lots of fun colors too!

We change the cath most days but it's ok to miss one now and then. Just make sure to clean "him" really well and give "him" breathing time. The drainage bags.. Medicare will pay for 2 a month with a DR precription. We take Earl's off daily, drain it then I sqirt in some bleach toilet cleaner it the tube and run water down the tube after. Drain that out and leave it open and hang to dry. That keep it smelling fresh and clean.

Hope this helps you out some. Just remember you both have to keep a good sense of fun while learning this stuff. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, we all do. Just try again till you get it down!(hehehe)

Cris, you are a woman of my own twisted humor! I would be hesitant to use Toilet bowl cleaner in the drainage bag! Just use a very diluted bleach and water solution! Texas Cath and Condom Cath are the same-just different names. I can't believe that Glen has managed to not post on this thread! lolol

I miss Glen, too. He has had lots of opportunities lately. It's funny how you look forward to people's response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back