cree

Country
US
State
CA
City
Penn Valley
Hi,
A member of my extended family has ALS with Bulbar and a recent PEG feed tube. We meet with Hospice this coming Monday. My beloved friend asked me to go on an ALS forum to ask for advice in what may have been helpful for thinning out mucus. His mobility is rapidly failing and, pretty soon he will no longer be able to get down to kneel on the floor, placing his forehead on the floor, in order to help himself expel the mucus blocks. Air volume has also decreased making this process 15-25 minutes long before anything does come up. Has anybody tried any product or medication that has successfully helped them thin out mucus in addressing how the mucus plugs can plug the airway? Please let me know if product is a liquid or a non-time release medication that could be crushed; and if you administered it into a feeding tube? I would be ever so grateful to know of anything that helps with this problem. We do cupping and maneuvers to assist (pushing in and up, just below the sternum) and have a suction machine to address saliva. Not at the point of a tracheostomy yet, and will soon need to consider bi-pap. Thanks for reading this post. - Cree

Cree, other than him taking in more fluids I don't know of anything for thinning the mucous. I think that a cough assist machine would really help him bring up the mucous to where it could be suctioned. Sorry I can't be more help.

Barry

What you are looking for is commonly called an expectorant, and the most common expectorant sold over the counter in the US is Guaifenesin. Guaifenesin is available in liquid form as Robitussin liquid (and its many private label imitators) and in tablet form as Mucinex. Mucinex itself is a time-release formulation of guaifenesin tablets, but there are usually private label versions sold that are not time-release formulations.

Hope this helps.

Taking in more fluids and pineapple juice should help. Contains enzymes that break down the thick mucous, so I have read

Thank YOU to everyone for posting a reply to my question about thinning mucus. Reaching out through this forum has deeply touched my heart! Your compassion and willingness to help others while facing such challenges in your own lives makes everyone of you a hero. Your humanity is simply beauty at its most beautiful. My prayers are with you all - may God Bless you really good and keep you safe.
With bunches of hugs,
respectfully yours - Cree

Dear Barry,
Thank you, so much for your post. I was wondering how the Cough-Assist works, if it is an electrical machine, or anything you might know that you can share. I did see one is for sale on this website and have posted some questions. It is an older post and that equipment may have already been sold (have not yet heard from my inquiry). I would be ever so grateful if you could shed some light. Blessings to you, dear one.
Cree

Cree,

The Cough Assist is an electrical device to which you attach a hose and mask. The machines are very expensive, but very effective.

Make sure your pALS is registered with their local ALS Association, as they have a loan closet and may have a Cough Assist he can use.

Here is a simple video that explains how the Cough Assist works:

YouTube- Cough Assist Mechanical In-Exsufflator // In-Exsuflador Mecânico Cough Assist

Good luck to you and yours!

Accent or meat tenderizer, a little bit on the tongue is supposed to help with mucus. I use Vicks cough and Phlegm remady. Helps break it up. My Neuro told me dehydration causes thicker secretions so drink as much as possible. I've heard Potassium Iodine drops work but tastes real bad. Mix in applesauce.

AL.

Just wanted to add my two cents about the amazing suction power of a cough assist machine! Drinking fluids will help to thin secretions. Like Brooksea said, the ALS or MDA might have one to lend. I also wonder why he's not on bipap already? It will give him more energy.

we use a nebulizer with duoneb, a cough assist, and a shaker vest from hill-rom the combo seems to do the trick. the nebulizer thins the mucus, the vest shakes it loose and the cough assist brings it up

Penny1

Mom uses Mucinex liquid, children's. Crushed papaya tabs rubbed on the back of her tongue...works amazingly. We first did the meat tenderizer but she hated the taste...papaya has the same enzyme.

Laura-
where do you get the papaya tabs?

Good morning,
My husband has also been using papaya enzymes. You can get it in the healthfoods/vitamin aisle at the grocery store.

I have tried the crushed papaya pills, papaya juice, and pineapple juice and none of it has made any difference to me. The best thing that I have found is more fluids.

I had mucous so thick I nearly gagged. I had extreme diffulty in trying get it off my tongue - it was "stuck" to my tongue. I have now used papaya juice for 2 days and it has thinned the mucous so much that it no longer "sticks" to my tongue. I was only able to find papaya juice at amazon.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back