Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
I've really had it with the public school system. At first they promise you help with counseling and are so understanding, but that wanes away. Trying to get help thereafter is futile.

I'm so tired of picking my son up from school to hear about him being made fun of because of his daddy or whatever. My son is a big guy, but is very loving. I'm also tired of the educational process of cramming in all they need to know in the dumb-ass state*I live in from Jan to April to enable the kids to pass the state test to go to the next grade! I'm tired of being talked "at" like I'm a child when I call or go to the school.

I realize most cALS or pALS may not face this type situation, but I'm wondering if any of y'all are homeschooling. I am seriously looking into this for the sake of my son.

Last edited:
CJ,

We (well, my wife) home-schooled our 3 daughters for 3 years, teaching grades 1-7 in that time. There are several very good curricula to choose from and the community usually offers a lot of good support in the way of extra curricular activities (sports and band/orchestra, etc.).

It got to be too much for my wife and we wound up putting them into local schools.

When my husband got his diagnosed in early '08, I wondered how that would effect my ability to homeschool our 11-year-old son with autism. I realized that homeschooling was the best option for us all....we can be flexible in our day when I need to attend to my husband's feeding, bathing, etc. in the mornings and I can homeschool in the early afternoon. My son is getting special time with his dad everyday....to me, this is more important than all the hours spent in school. He also is learning to be a caregiver's helper -- doing small jobs to help dad and learning that the world is not just about him. I have been amazed at how he has "stepped up" and wants to cheerfully assist in helping dad. To me, this is the best education my son will get. He has learned compassion, patience, love, service, etc.....and he is prompted to ask some great questions that have led into wonderful discussions. We are also doing a Bible study on heaven that will help prepare him for the days ahead. Hope you are able to investigate this option.

Cj, I am in the same situation so it isn't just your particular state or school system. Matthew begs me to either do home schooling or MOVE! I have had numerous conversations with the school about the bullying etc and get no where...I just do not see how I could actually home school him myself. He is doing Trig and that is sooooo beyond me! We very will may need to move when Web leaves us and will if I can manage to sell the Grace House. I am looking at other states to see if there may be another state with a better fit so to speak. You are not alone but I do not have any answers. :[ hugs to you and your little guy.

Kay Marie and CJ,
Most of our friends homeschooled, and found that within the homeschool community there are many gifted parents who would exchange subjects, and get the kids together weekly for that special subject. Kay may need someone for Trig (and Calculus down the road) but may be good to take on another subject--or not. One of my friends had a writing club, for instance. Parents of the children in the club didn't usually offer their own service, but all were happy to get the kids together for social time. It's a strong movement with a lot of participants. Best wishes for both of you.
Ann

Hi CJ, Oh, I cant believe this crap is still going on in your sons school! I thought the school was at least going to try and get a handle on the bullying...what happened? If you do choose to do the homeschooling, I am more worried about you. You already have a full plate, emotionally and physically. I know you are a protective mama bear, and rightfully so, but ya gotta be careful with yourself. I don't think there is an easy answer here. I do know that when my daughter was in 4th grade in public school, there were growing problems with her teacher. We pulled her out and put her in private school. Best thing we ever did for her. The class room was smaller, and the kids were more well mannered and caring than in public school. The teachers respected the students, and the parents were welcomed to have any input they could think of. The best thing about that school was if there was something "different" about you, the cooler you were to all the kids.
Hugs, Kari

My son is doing virtual school,it is amazing, everything is provided free with taxes. He has a brand new laptop, amazing books, teachers who keep him on track. No bullies, and such.

H4C, what is "virtual school"? I have to do something. Matthew is miserable. hugs

My daughter did the "Internet Academy" for a year in high school. It was great. You just have to make sure they go to a regular school or college to get the diploma. She got hers from college, and had college credits to boot!

Well, I just checked and that one is only for Washington state. I would bet his school would have info on internet school for your state. Just a thought. I could not be the teacher for my daughter, she is far more educated than I am! hahahaha

My son does all his work on the computer. He will graduate just like a regular school. We have quite few here in PA. I am really happy for this option. I would be glad to give u as much help as I could. Pm me if you would like.

Yes, there are virtual schools run by the the state Kay Marie. I don't know if they have them SD, I'm sure they probably do. But that's the problem - the state! You have to answer to a "teacher" that reviews tests and your child is required to go through the same testing as if he/she were at school. So basically it's the same material only at home. Might work for some since you would give individual attention to your child. Our state's school system is miserably lacking.

My child isn't being taught and isn't being protected from the verbal abuse. He is merely being socialized. We are taking him out. He has enough to deal with. No more being beat up on the the bus (which he begs to ride lol) by older kids and no more bull from the administrators when I complain or ask for help!

hi there..
ive been AWOL for a few weeks.. Trying to get things together before my mom moved in. (Got a second job to help with anything that might come up.. yada yada yada.)

Just wanted to let you know my kids are 21 months and 4.5 and we starting to look into homeschooling. Mainly because i live in California and the public schools here are crap. We actually have a great network of homeschooling programs that are affiliated with the public school under a charter. The kids actually socialize and go to a class a few times a week taught by different teachers. So its kind of the best both worlds; personalized curriculum with just enough socialization. You might want to check out if there any similar programs in your area.

good luck!
-m

CJ, I think you're doing the right thing, and as you may know all states teach now for those tests--a huge chunk of the school year. It's a broken system. I'm just sorry you have this on top of the als to deal with.

My daughter graduated high school from Keystone National High School - a virtual program. They have a "college bound track" where you can take AP classes, calculus, trig, etc...and they provide the support to the student via webchats and emails. It was a wonderful alternative for my daughter, who was struggling with OCD and Depression. She is now thriving in college- healthy and at peace.

I would encourage you to check them out. They are actually located in Pennsylvania, and are nationally accredited.(we live in Miami, FL) They show a list of the universities and colleges the graduates have been accepted to. Feel free to contact me if you would like more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back