Diagnosis
08/2007
Country
US
State
New York
City
Bloomingdale
So I was wondering if anyone knows the ins and outs to applying for SSI Disabilty? My husband is due to retire from teaching in June and we have gone ahead and applies. However due to him struggling to finish out the school year and still working they have denied him.

So after numerous phone calls I ge the answer we you can't apply until he does not work another day and then benefits start 6-7 months that. I am disgusted that it takes that long and the person at SSI told me well if you can't afford it you should have planned better. I was like OMG you have to be kidding me yes We should have planned better to get a terminal illness when you are younger then 40 yrs old. The compassion and ignorance of some people are unreal.

Does anyone know if this is true is their trully a 6-7 moth holding period? If so then Don is done with work as of Monday so we don't have to go 6-7 months without an income.

UUUGGGHHH any information would be grateful. Thank you everyone for your continued posts and uplifting spirits and support.

JD

Yes, there is a six month wait.

A diagnosis of ALS means approval is automatic though, once they've got the medical records. That means your six month wait begins the day he stops working.

Sorry for your pain. The process and the wait, suck.
Dick

There's no way around the six month wait. However, does your state have short term disability? If he has paid into it, he is eligible immediately. I'm not sure if, as a teacher, they will care that he might possibly not worked during the summer months ? Also, if he is covered by long term disability, I'd go ahead and get the paperwork started with that. Even though it won't kick in right away, in my experience (and others here on the forum) the LTD companies are a huge pain to work with to get approval, and they will continue to require updated documentation. Another thing about LTD (can you tell how upset this STILL has me?) is they pay out whatever percentage the plan specifies, AFTER all other income is counted. So, whatever your husband will make on SSDI, the LTD subracts that out of what they will pay him. I think by law they are required to pay something though. After all of the years I paid into it, I receive $100 monthly from my LTD company.

I know all of this is that last thing you need to hear right now.

I applied in January and received a letter in February that I qualified and the waiting period was waived with my diagnosed of ALS.

The waiting period is waived, but ( unless there have been more changes) one still does not receive payments until six months. I think it was five months to qualify for Medicare, so, my first check from SS had two months taken out for Medicare payments, even though I didn't know I had the coverage. I guess, in retrospect, I could have re-submitted medical bills for Medicare's consideration, but it was for a month when I didn't really have any medical bills (of course!)...

Ladyinn,

Did your approval letter give you a date that your payments would start?

"Waiting period was waived"

The usual wait is about two years if I remember correctly. My husband was approved within 30 days due to the TERI diagnosed. But, he still had to wait, just as Rose said, for 5 months for Medicare and 6 months for SSDI. The 6 months started from the day he last worked.

Sucks don't it y'all? Better than 2 years though and we can thank a man that had ALS for getting that law changed.

Our experience was the same as the above although I have heard of people not waiting the 5 months...it is better than a poke in the eye I guess...

Rose, the letter stated medicare eligible immediately - payments in 60 days.

There are 2 different kinds of Social Security. SSI, and SSDI. SSI is when you do not have enough work credits, and limited assests, which can begin right away, and SSDI has the 5 month waiting period. SSDI can be retroactive to date of DX, but only if you have not had any income from working. HUGS Lori

Does your husband have sick leave accumulated? Mine used his sick leave (thankfully at full pay) - the waiting period started the day he stopped working even though he collected sick pay.

I also wanted to comment that SS disability insurance is different that SSI. SSI is for limited income and as a teacher it seems to me that SSDI is more appropriate for your husband to apply for.

But here is something no one told me about so be careful: I worked 36 + years before (ALS DX in 2006 now MMN) I had to stop working due to atrophy etc. Anyway it took two years before I got "awarded" SSD, because I did not have a clear DX of ALS. Anyway, in 2008 I needed rotator cuff surgery, which was approved by BC/BS prior to the operation as was all the Physical Therapy that went with that. I paid all my deductables and had full coverage as a retired educator, but I was awarded SSD and Medicare because of my diagnosis on October 1, 2008. I did not know about the medicare until Oct 22, 2008. I notified the Office of Retirement and Bc/Bs by fax and phone on that day. My operation was October 20th. BC/BS continued to pay for PT and the rest but did not put me on the "Medicare Advantage" (retired/disabled) plan. So in December 2009 (one year later in their auditing) they recinded all the payments for the operation and PT about 30,000 dollars saying Medicare should have paid that. All my drs etc. resubmitted to Medicare but now I am suppose to pay the "copay" out of pocket for PT. - about 750 dollars. That may not seem like much but I already paid my out of pocket limit for 2008 and I don't have that kind of money. It is a big run around between the Office of Retirement, BC/BS and medicare. So be careful as Medicare plugs you in before they notify you and your regular insurance can say it is no longer responsible. So you get left holding the bag.

It is such a hassle and worry so be careful. Best Wishes, Peg

You got that right Peg B.
Went through all this "double coverage" stuff with my dad 20 years ago. so when my wife retired due to ALS I went to my HR people and specifically asked them: who pays medical bills if my wife also has Medicare? They told me that Medicare becomes primary insurer. My medical coverage was better than Medicare so we made sure to turn down Medicare. They still took Medicare premiums out of her SSDI checks for almost six months but eventually they did actually cancel the coverage (not sure if they ever refunded the premiums). Haven't had to deal with either denial of coverage or the ever so important battle between insurers about who has to pay.

Thanks for that. I did not even know it was an option to turn down Medicare. My husband is still on my regular insurance. He is 62, but not disabled. I don't think they would let me turn down Medicare at this point, but it sure feels like I am getting punished for being disabled. I appreciate you writing as I figured no one would understand what I was saying because I was shocked that they recinded the payments and continue to give me the run around. I will deal with it again on Monday. Thanks again and take good care of yourself. Best Wishes, Peg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back