Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nj
City
deptford
Hi, my mom has had ALS for 2 years now and she is has refused a feeding tube. She has had a very rapid progession of the disease. She is completely paralyzed except for little head movement. She is just barely getting ensure down 3 times a day but it takes about 1/2 hour to get one bottle down. She isn't on any oxygen yet. She doesn't want to go to the doctors anymore so I'm reaching out to anyone who has been through this to see how long she may have. Thanks for responding.

ceegee
We have not been that far down this road as yet but I am so sorry that you and your mother are. I assume you have hospice involved by now. Can they give you any answers to you questions? Many prayers and bet wishes for you and your mom during these difficult times.

Jim

Dear Ceegee,

Prayers for you to be strong as you go through this time...Hospice, as Jim suggested, is where you should be reaching out. If your mom is refusing a feeding tube or other medical intervention, would make Hospice the next step.

Peace,
Melody

Thanks for your replies. Yes, mom is on hospice but they can't tell me nor want to commit to any length of time. i was just hoping someone would have experienced my situation. Thanks again.

My mother was diagnosed 5 years ago. It progressed very slowly, we went through hoyer lifts wheel chairs and using pillows and towels to keep her comfortable. My mother was not able to move her legs,head, and minimal movement of her left arm. We contacted hospice when we realized we needed more help with keeping medications straight, and just help in general. We have had them for about a month they started out coming 3 times a week to give her sponge baths and taking her vitals and then leave. But this past week my mom caught an upper respiratory infection to the point to now she will not last through the next day or so. To answer your question baby is that people go through this disease at their own time. Its difficult to say how long an arm or leg will have strength. You will know when you are truly hitting the end stages. If you have any questions or want to talk more please feel free. Stay strong and the best thing to remember is to try and keep her comfortable no matter how much she drives you crazy!If you want to talk more honey pleasee feel free to message me...xoxoJen

Hi. my mom was diagnosed Oct 08. She is completely paralyzed except for slight head movement. She only manages a small amt. of food daily. She has had a BiPap machine for about 6 months and now will no longer go out to the doctor (or anwhere...too difficult). The respiratory people come to the house and you might try to get a visiting doctor or nurse to come. We have that and it helps. We may soon have hospice. There is no real timeline for death it seems. Everyone is unique...even with my moms respiratory #'s in the teens (they started in the 80's) we were told she could live many months. She doesn't want to since she is acutely uncomfortable and becoming anxious about eating and breathing. My mom will not accept a feeding tube either.
Sorry that we are in the same boat. Let me know if i can try and answer questions or help at all. I find that the forum give me a measure of comradarie and enlighten me on needs, devices etc.
Barbara

just wanted you to know your not alone my boyfriend refuses the feeding tube and lives on just one ensure a day he can't eat i asked the doctor the same question and he said they can't tell because it goes differant for each person . i don't write much in here but i find hearing the others makes me feel so less alone so thank you and know i'm thinking of you all

There are just so many variables... your mom's general health before diagnosis, etc. I would be surprised if they gave your mom oxygen as the real culprit is not o2 deficit but buildup of co2 in the system. As this happens your mom will become increasingly sleepy so that's one sign you can watch for. Glad you have hospice coming in, just remember sometimes we still have to be our PALS advocate because even the hospice folk will have only seen the rare ALS patient. Hang in there.

My mom was in much the same state for over 2 months. She decided when it was her time and she refused all liquids. She picked the day she wanted to go and darned if that wasn't the day it happened. She lived 6 days after her last sip. We moved her to a hospice care center and they helped all of us get through her end of life journey. My thoughts are with you both.

Hi Barbara and others -- similar situation here. Mom, 72, diagnosed in fall 2008. Prior to ALS, she was active, healthy, youthful, a wonderful Mom and Grandmother. Symptoms a year before diagnosis were weakening arms, legs, and twitching. Now, just about 2 years later, she can only barely move her head. She is completely immobile, using a bi-pap for quite some time now, 24/7. Her voice is raspy and weak. She doesn't sleep well, and spends her days resting and watching tv. She needs 24-hour care, which is a combination of paid caregivers, hospice (just recently), and my sisters and I on weekends, which is so difficult because we live far, work full time, have kids, and are not trained home health care aides!. Bathing her and feeding her and addressing her personal hygiene issues is so draining, but we want to be with her and are trying to get quality time with her and surround her with family. Anyway, we had some caregiving before Hospice, 10 hours a week, through the visiting nurse organization, but now Hospice is providing 4 hours a day, 7 days a week. This has been very helpful. I, too, always ask myself "how long will she live?" and despite describing her symptoms and progression, no one seems to be able to give even a ballpark figure. I imagine that many people who have lost someone to ALS might be off this forum by now, so maybe we are missing some input in that regard? Mom can still eat but it's very slow, and her swallowing is getting worse. She refused the feeding tube two years ago, when the people at the ALS clinic said "get it sooner than later". She was afraid. She didn't need it then, and decided to wait until she had to decide. Problem is, i fear that it's too late for the procedure, that she wouldn't withstand it no matter how 'simple' it is supposed to be. AND, if she does opt for the procedure, we are told that she can no longer remain on Hospice as this is considered an artificial means for prolonging life. So, she'd have to go off Hospice, at least for the time being, yet they are so helpful to our family right now, we need them. And it might sound cruel, but I look at her and see the condition she is in, and I think "Is it really the best thing to prolong the inevitable?". She's so stubborn about taking meds, too, if she let Hospice do what they do, she could at least be kept comfortable and relaxed. She is so worried about anything that will compromise her breathing, and yet she remains stressed and anxious and doesn't sleep well, so this cannot be good for her breathing either! I just want her comfortable and not stressed, for whatever time she has left. This disease is evil, it is simply evil. It is draining everything -- finances, for sure, but also mentally and physically it is taking its toll not just on Mom who has the disease, but on the entire family, as you all are well aware. Sometimes, I hate to admit it, I just want her to pass on sooner than later. Am I being selfish? I love my Mother, I hate ALS. Thanks for listening, I haven't posted in awhile, glad to be back. P.S. Mom doesn't say anything about the feeding tube, she never seriously considered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back