Status
Not open for further replies.

COlisa

Distinguished member
Hi All,
It's been a long time since I have been on the forum. Where to start? I was laid off, then found an internal transfer at my company before my final day, so was NOT laid off. I started the new job the last monday in Oct. The job is not a great fit, they combined 2 people's jobs and gave them both to me, plus there are issues with my manager (the whole team is having problems with mgr). My husband's progression accelerated rapidly about the same time. Plus we moved, downsizing by more than half (I still don't know what all was given away), to a one level place. Fortunately our house sold quickly, so that is one upside.

Dave needs 24/7 care. I work from home, am constantly barraged by work emails and phone calls. I have someone here from 8-5 (a paid CNA part time and his parents the rest of the time) weekdays to help with him, but work is really more like a 10-12 hour a day thing now. I am so stressed at work that I started making mistakes for basic things. I cannot concentrate on any one thing long enough to be effecient or effective. I finally called HR and had a melt down and they insisted that I take Family Medical Leave,both for Dave and for myself. I have 1 week left and the idea of going back to work absolutely makes me panic. I don't know how I can go back.

Dave does not qualify for SSDI or medicare because he was a stay home Dad for more than 10 years, and does not qualify. If I don't work, then we don't have insurance to pay for any of his neurologist, pulomonologist, OT, PT, or equipment rentals (and we have alot of it). Not sure how I will cope with going back.

My heart pounds when I think about work and I can't think straight. I had so much success in my career but I feel like I am blowing it now and will ruin my reputation, lose my job, and not be able to provide insurance for my family.

I worry that maybe Dave doesn't have much time left and I don't want to spend my time feeling horrible. I want to enjoy our time together. But I have to work at this job I hate that makes me feel like a failure and causes me massivie amounts of anxiety that I cannot dissapate no matter how much deep breathing and positive affirmations I give my self.

I don't expect any answers here...just venting...but at the end of my rope.

Thanks for listening & being there for my rant.
Lisa

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions but I am here to listen anyway. Stay strong.

Barry

Excuse me as a foreigner, but we have been given to ubnderstand situations like this can no longer happen in amreica with the new Obama medical changes?It is so wrong:

Actually, help was more likely BEFORE Obama medical provisions, as we "dying" are left to die as useless baggage.

you see, the information we get on any newscasts etc is always so twisted.........all over the world

Lisa
I am so very sorry for what you are going through. As a primary caregiver I understand. I am worried about you. I wish I had answers for you but know I will lifting you up in my prayers. Are you seeing any sort of counsellor? My wife and I found a Neurophycoligist who has been very helpful. Very best wishes to you.

Jim

Oh Lisa I feel for you. If my wife had lived six months longer I would be in exactly the same place. The worry over what was coming nearly killed me and seeing that, probably contributed to Liz going downhill so quickly. I have no answers, but you can vent to me anytime.

Dick

Lisa, I am so sorry, i wish i had an idea for some help. All i can say is that i truley care about what you and your husband are going through. I hope that you can hold on to your job and they will be understanding , Hugs, linda

Lisa,
MY heart hurts for all you are facing. Can you talk to HR about extending your FMLA? You do want your focus to be with your husband, as that time is fleeting. If you can figure out the financial hurdles...I know how overwhelming it all is.

Prayers for wisdom, clarity and Peace!

Is there any chance you could qualify for Medicaid if you quit your job? Perhaps you could spend down by paying doctor bills until your liquid assets are used up, then Medicaid would be available. I heard Medicaid lets you keep your house. Maybe an ALSA social worker could give you some advice on this.

Thanks all.

I will probably try to extend FMLA at least a bit longer. I started seeing a counselor 2 weeks ago. She is great at giving me some coping skills, but the constant, nagging, heart-pounding anxiousness persists. My head knows it is irrational, but I still cannot control it.

What do you all do for the anxiety? Is there anything? After work, I just want to hang out with Dave and the extent of activity is watching movies or sports on TV. He is having alot of trouble with drooling lately, so he is always coughing and it is no fun for him to go out. We have tried a couple of different meds, but no relief yet.

Anyway, thanks for listening. If you all have any tricks or tips for handling anxiety, let me know.

Lisa

Xanax is usually prescribed for anxiety. I didn't take it, but Liz did. It seemed to help her. I just suffered with the chest tightening, sucked it up like most stupid men. Probably should have had a heart attack but luckily I didn't. She also took something for the drooling but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Hi Lisa,
I also work from home to care for my husband. I actually work 2 part-time jobs from home. I understand your stress and for now my only relief has been Wellbutrin with Xanax on really bad days. I start counseling on the 19th. I have felt many times that I wanted to quit everything and just let things fall where they may, and then I remember how hard he worked to build the life that we had and I get back to work. I don't want to let him down.

Financially, if he has life insurance, there is a "living benefit" part to some policies. It's probably not the best idea to use, but others have used it to help them financially. You cash out the policy through the company or a viatical settlement company. This is our "break glass in case of emergency" plan.

I hope and pray that you can extend your family leave. That would be the best for you all right now.

Take care.

Pam's comment on life insurance reminded me that my wifes policy allow for her to borrow on the benefits at a reasonable interest. The only stipulation is she needs a letter from her doctor stating she has less then 12 months to live. It's an option we have considered which would allow me to take advantage of the family leave act when the end gets a little closer. Just a thought.

Does anyone know where I can find info on weather or not Dave could draw on an old 401K without penalty? He contributed to it during the many years he was working.

Thanks,
Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back