Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Minnesota
City
White Bear Lake
I am new to this site but am looking for assistance.

Here is my story. My husband has been having medical issues for the past 5 years- the doctors started by telling him he just had plantar fascitis but they did 4 surgeries on his legs to fix it as they had to repair tendons, block nerves etc to stop the pain in his legs. At this time he was also tripping on everything. After that he kept having troubles so they said he had Parkinsons disease, then he had restless leg syndrome , then he had nerve issues from problems in his back while he was in the military, then they said he was diabetic then he just had sleep apnea then they told him he was an alcoholic as he has a few drinks a week ( My ex husband was a severe alcoholic so I know what this is ) Now within the past year after having every medical test imaginable and draining my savings account for medical expenses they say he has ALS then the next week he doesn't have ALS. They don't want to actually say these three letters to him as they don't want to give him that death sentence (one of his doctors actually said this).

I have watched him deteriorate very quickly over the past few months. He is 6'2" and used to weigh 280 pounds. He is now down to 218, he has no muscle tone left anywhere but can still walk (don't know how the bird legs hold him up) , he chokes on food alot and sometimes has a hard time swallowing, he has the hiccups alot, doesn't sleep well but can't wear the bipap mask as he is severely claustrophobic, his skin bubbles and it looks like he has worms crawling under it, he stutters and sometimes mumbles but he gets mad at me if I ask him to repeat things.

We are going down to the Mayo clinic per his doctor at the end of April- maybe they will tell him what he has.

Sorry for going on and on but I just am trying to see if what I have told you sounds like he has it. He hasn't been able to work in the past years but keeps trying to get jobs and then his body won't let him do them . He was recently a semi driver and a bus driver. I watched him walk down the hall this morning and by the time I got to work I can't stop crying- he wobbled all the way down and he looks so small. I try to be strong at home and help him and he keeps telling me that we all have to die sometime. I think he is already giving up. I watched my Mom die from Ovarian cancer which was a long process and I helped with her care, recently my Dad died of Lung cancer and I helped with his care.

I want the strength to be able to get him through this but am worried that I won't be able to handle it very well and He already gets frustrated with me if I see him struggling with something and I offer to help. (like opening a package of cheese)

Any help or suggestions of how I can be a good caregiver or does he even sound like he has ALS so I can really prepare my brain better would help. I have been watching this site for months but was afraid to join. Thank you for listening.

Hello, Welcome. You are headed in the right direction going to the Mayo clinic. If it is ALS, and your husband was in the military, you most likely be covered by the VA, and they help a lot, once you get a DX. Good luck, and ask anything you need to. HUGS Lori

Thank you Lori!

I'm sure I will have a lot more questions in the future

Hi. I know the process is frustrating of going from doctor to doctor but often that's what it takes to get in the right hands. Hoping he won't get an ALS diagnosed but instead some help and treatment for his problem. Thankfully you will be in good hands at Mayo.

Hoping it's not ALS! Good luck to you and your husband. Either way, I'm sure you will be a great caregiver. Take one day at a time...

Please let us know how things go.

Dear Puppychow,
You have both been through a great deal! I understand the doctors not wanting to give the ALS diagnosis. My husband's neurologist basically said the same thing. The fact that you are going to the Mayo Clinic is excellent and will hopefully provide clarity for you all. It sounds like he's got quite a few health issues, so hopefully it won't be ALS, but something treatable. Just stay in the present, as much as possible, because getting too far ahead of yourself will just paralyze you.

Peace,
Melody

Dear Puppy Chow -
I know it's frustrating. We did alot of bouncing back and forth with my dad too. Unfortunately, there's no definitive blood test that will show up as ALS positive. It's a process of elimination and from what I've seen... it's a diagnosed of last resort.

IF... he has ALS (and hope that's not the case), but if he does, the VA will be able to help tremendously with the financial aspect. However, don't expect them to come to the rescue right away... there's alot of red tape to cut through and alot of hoops to jump through but they will help. I have some experience with that so if you need any assistance, please feel free to reach out to me.

Hang in there... you'll be surprised at just how strong you really are.

Jennifer

Thanks to you all for your support .

I will let you know what happens after his appointment on the 22nd.

My Motto has always been (from the old commercials/toys) "Weebles Wobble but we don't fall down", so I will go with it.

Thanks again- I feel better already

It must be so hard for you to go through all of this without a diagnosis. I am so sorry about your husband. His symptoms all seem like they could be ALS, but there are certainly other possibilities, too. My husband was diagnosed very quickly because he had definite signs of both upper and lower motor neuron problems. I thought that things would get easier when we knew for sure, but they really didn't. I hope you get the answers you need and I really hope it is not ALS! By the way, I am not far away from you in Coon Rapids, MN.

Puppychow, what a cute name, sounds like you are a fellow animal lover.
I am so sorry you had to join us, but people like you make this site so much more important. I can honestly say that ALS does seem like a possibility from your description, although many other things could still be likely. I am thinking maybe a myopathy, or something like that could be a possibility. I want you to know you are welcome here, and we are here for you if we can be of any assistance or guidance. Mayo Clinic should be able to give you some much needed answers. I am heartbroken when I think of what you have gone through with your husband the last 5 years, this diagnosed process is just horrible. We all have such troubling stories with diagnosed., but your story is a bad one even from our standards.

Hi Puppy Chow... You had mentioned that your husband was in the military... Did he serve in the Desert Storm? There have been links to the Desert Storm and ALS. I do hope that the Drs can find out what is wrong with your husband and I do hope that it isn't ALS.

No, not desert storm- he was stationed in Guam and the Phillipines back quite a few years where he got shrapnel in his head and Malaria and whatever other disease you could get there. He received his last rights back there and made it through so hopefully he'll try just as hard with this. I have seen the articles on the VA site regarding ALS and contacted them and they are all waiting until after our Mayo visit to step in. Thank you

Puppy Chow - must be a fellow animal lover! :) I spent the past six years being mis-diagnosed. Then I went to Mayo in Rochester in September and underwent 12 days of testing to finally leave there with the diagnosed of "Nuero-muscular degenerative disease with ALS characteristics". Then they had me meet with an ALS social worker who put me in touch with an ALS doc in my hometown and an ALS clinic. So am operating under the premise I have ALS even tho Mayo didn't define it as such. (Am I in denial or just translating things too literally?)

I applied for SS disability in November and was notified I qualified with no wait period with the ALS diagnosis.

By the way - I've used the Weeble Wooble and don't fall down quote a lot but with my recent falls I am thinking of changing to the Michelin Man because my friends want to wrap me in bubble wrap or put me in a stack of tires to cushion the falls! :O

Good luck at Mayo.

Thank you Ladyinn for sharing your Mayo clinic experience. I am just hoping they can tell us something, anything. He has been falling quite a bit lately too- had a good wipe out off of a curb yesterday-came home from work-he is flat out on the couch , said he thought his foot was on the ground but it was still on the curb. The curb won. I will get some of those Michelins for him.

Yes I love animals but it is also a nickname I have had since high school (long time ago) I was so short that my friends always gave me bags of puppy chow for my birthday cuz of their phrase of "Puppy Chow for a full year til your full grown". I did finally get over the 5 foot mark as a senior.

That's a funny story about your nickname Puppy Chow! Very creative. My nickname was Sizeless. In high school it was a play on my last name. Don't know if they were referring to my height (I finally reached 4'11") or something else! LOL :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back