Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
NY
City
Latham
So, my second daughter, Julie, is a geek. President of the robotics club, plans on going into engineering post HS. She's currently wavering between a neurological and a biomedical engineering major (VERY NEW fields, she's looking at Duke and U of Arizona, since they are the front-runners in these fields). She's a junior in high school. Obviously, ALS has had an enormous impact on her life. Today, she presented me with the paperwork for the Capstone Engineering program at her high school. It's a list of questions, mostly trying to gauge her intended direction for future endeavors (god I love spell check). Anyway, she told me that what she wants to do is: First, since resources in High School are limited, she would like to focus on designing and building a better lift system to help caregivers do all those things necessary to aid sufferers of crippling diseases like ALS. Her intended future goal though. is to come up with a cure for diseases of the nervous system using a bio-medically engineered solution, stem cells or whatever else may crop up between now and then.

Julie is a driven individual. The fact is, she doesn't have most of the prerequisites necessary for the Capstone Engineering program. The head of the department though, is the one that recommended her for the program. It's very competitive, but she's got a couple of pluses on her side so there's a very real possibility that she'll get in.

All of my kids saw what happened to their mother. Even more telling to me though, is that at some point or another, every one of them commented on what it did to their father. I'm extremely proud of Julie but I'm also rather impressed by how each of the others have managed to come to terms with the situation. Honestly, I'm honored to be the father of these four kids.

Dick

Dick, you should be very proud. Good kids come from good parents.

I'd like to think so Barry, but I really have to give most of the credit to Liz. She was a terrific mother, her kids were the most important part of her life. It was even the overriding theme of the memorial service at her work yesterday. Everyone that spoke commented on how she put her kids first. I would go so far as to say that in the end, her decision not to be vented was probably more about them than anything else. I will admit, I put the kids first also, until she got really sick. At that point I have to say, they mostly raised themselves, at least for the last few months. They all seem to be doing okay now but I still wonder what is going unsaid.....

Dick,
Julie is really an amazing kid. Wise beyond her years..cognitively and emotionally. When I meet a young lady like Julie..I believe that anything is possible. Would love to have a visit with you all very soon.

Kelly,

Lou's on the Shaker Crew team now so we're pretty much tied to town every weekend through the end of May. Just say the word and at the very least Julie and I will come up. Joanne and Lou mostly have their own thing going on. Jerry would probably join us though. We'd love to see you guys.

AMAZING children from AMAZING PARENTS!

Dick-

A heartwarming (if not bittersweet) post- can just see you bursting with pride, as you should be!

The unsaid stuff will come in it's own time, I think.
But, somethings don't need words- just a look shared between you & them can validate their feelings.

You're doing an amazing job!

Dick
Sounds like you have done a wonderful job raising great kids, it's not alway easy these days, even in the best of circumstances. I know just how you feel about them raising themselves after ALS hit. I used to regulary take my two daughters (ages 18 and 21) out on dates at least once a month but since more and more of my free time is focused on their mother these days I don't remember the last time we did that. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to make sure and set some time aside.

Dick, thanks for sharing your stories with us. I love them all. Your love story and now your children.. You are a wonderful parent.... and I know a wonderful husband. Liz is close by watching all of you and she is happy today... Hugs to you, Linda

I don't think that it has ever been easy raising kids. I remember well all the stuff that my sisters and I put my parents through in the 60s and early 70s. We as parents do what we can with what we have and for the most part our kids grow up into happy, healthy adults.

I agree with mare, if anything unsaid needs to be said it will come out in time. You are obviously doing a great job with them so keep it up!

I appreciate the kudos and am very glad people like reading my words. It occurs to me I probably don't tell the kids often enough just how proud I am of them. I think it's time I worked on that.....

Dick

Dick,
If we can be of any assistance in helping your daughter in her goals just let us know. We are good at writing letters, making calls... You guys deserve the best. Liz was one smart lady.. I am counting on your daughter, she sure could be the one to make a difference. Sounds like you are one special family..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back