Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
US
State
UT
City
Clearfield
Hi Iam new here and just checking things out. My mother has ALS and I am one of here caregivers. Just looking for a little more support, answers to questions and other things that you all have tried and have had success with and not so much success.

Hi Guam04 again! I posted to you on the other thread, but again welcome to our forum! You, I can tell will make a lot of friends here. We are all here for each other. We laugh, we cry and we even have a tiff sometimes, but we love each other. So if you have any questions, just start a thread like you did with this one, and ask away. So many people here have so much experience with so many different aspects of ALS, from being caregiver, to being the actual patient. There is a wealth of information. Click User CP on the upper left corner and if anyone has responded to anything you have posted it will be there, along with people who want to be your friend. Use the search button to see what threads may have talked about a question you may have.
Hugs, Kari

Welcome! There is a wealth of support and information on this forum to say nothing about the LOVE!

welcome aboard, guam04!

Guam04
Welcome, I am new here has well but already feel that this is a place of warm and caring people. I know it will be the same for you. Wishing you all the best

Jim

Welcome Guam, sorry you have to be here. You have come to the right place for help. Josie

Welcome Guam 04. I too have a voice message I turn to sometimes. For whatever reason, Glen's company has never reassigned his office phone number, so if I call it late at night I can hear his "real voice."

Well.....another new member. My mother in law has ALS and I'm her care giver right now. She is dealing with this better than I am. I love her and will do whatever I can but I'm now torn between her and my fathers needs now. My husband and his brother do what they can but.....lets just say I feel overwhelmed with what everyone is wanting me to do. My father is 85 and my mother is having a hard time doing everything for him so I help them out too. I don't mean to sound selfish....I am glad I can help them but I'm falling apart. I've tried talking to my husband about how I feel and how I think it's time to look for long term care for his mother. I understand it's hard for him to face. I just don't know what to do but sit and cry in between taking care of my mother in law, my parents and I have children at home I have to be there for. I have lost myself along the way. Just writing down my feelings will help knowing someone out there may feel like I do. :(

ShellsBells,

If you need a break to do some things just for yourself and decompress.... ALS Guardian Angels may be able to arrange for a caregiver periodically so you can recharge. We have respite grants on our website.. ALSGuardianAngels.com.

Reach out to us before its too late.

Stu 949-233-3045

Shells honey... you need a BREAK! Sounds like you may need to stop being so gentle with your husband and brother in law... and TELL them you need a break, and they're going to have to step up and help you! Sometimes those of us who are "doers" find it hard to say we can't do it all ourselves, but truly if you don't take care of yourself, who are you going to be able to truly help? Listen to Stu, take him up on his offer. Please take care of you.

Hi Shells, Welcome to our forum! Oh hun, I have to agree with Katie, you have just got to put your foot down with your hubby and brother in law. You have got to have a break or you will get caregiver burnout hun. Then you wont be good for anyone! Stu is THE MAN! Give him a call and get some help in the mean time. Please keep posting and venting, we are here for ya.
Hugs, Kari

The entire sandwich generation I'm sure feels some of what we here are going through. We are working full time jobs, raising our children and before they are ready to leave our nest our parents need to have our help with their nest too. That in itself is very tough and we risk being lost but (on a day when we allow self sympathy or self pity) add to it ALS......
This really is a tough road. I have not had a grip on who I am or where I am in this life for a very long time. Lately, though, my soul has been making dis-satisfied noises wanting to express something of my neglected pieces. It could just be mid life crisis -- add that mess to the punchbowl -- but I think this combined with sheer exhaustion brings me to my blubbering days. Tears flow freely and I end up spent but cleansed. Follow with a good sleep and I get up in the morning and start it all again. This forum has been like a vitamin pill for me and I am so happy I can come to get one every day. I think that in holding hands here we may all be able to keep each other from tripping on this rough road, or at least be there to pick each other up if we do fall. For this, I am EXTREMELY GRATEFUL.

A big welcome hug to you Tom's Support. I am glad you have found some peace here. I love the way you express what you are feeling. We are here for you anytime to vent or to send a hug. Hang in there hun, just one day at a time.....
Hugs, Kari

Oh Bluebear, you make me feel so good, so welcome. I am glad you are there, you seem like you are a great cheer leader. Big smiles and hugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back