Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
To the tune of $34,872.50 USD. There is absolutely no way this PWC, even with all the bells and whistles, costs a fraction of that to manufacture and distribute. This is outright robbery of the Medicare system.

Come on, this costs more than a new handicap van! Think about it!

There is no amount of cable system, chips, LEDs, mounts, hydraulics, etc...that would merit this exorbitant rip off price.

I would love to tour a facility to see just how they make these "Cadillacs!" I'm sure the different parts, such as the joystick PCB and motor are made at different facilities and then built at a central location per specs, then shipped out.

What a pisser! Will be writing my Congressman about this ripoff of the system.

Shaking my head...:evil:

I guess we got a good deal on ours, only 27 thousand! Hugs Lori

Mine was about $25 K Canadian. Definately too much.

AL.

Again, my point that I have been outraged about-they charge those outrageous amounts because there is NO ACCOUNTABILTY! No system of checks and balances. The bottom line is always M-O-N-E-Y! They get by with it because most people feel powerless OR that it doesn't matter because they did not pay for it out of their own resources/pocket. We all pay for it. We pay for it with our taxes, we pay for it when we pay those incredible insurance premiums. I hope you do write that letter CJ. Do you remember my rampage about those ABD pads that my local hospital charged me $24/ a pad-I got three so the bill was around $80. The same identical lot number of the ABD pads that were made in China could be bought online for $8.00 for a box of 24! I refused to pay the bill and told them to sue me. :] I offered them 0.24 for the one that I used and would return the two that I did not open. I also told them that they should be ashamed that they were participating in making money off of someone's misfortune. They told me to not worry about the bill, they would write it off. Big write off for them that 0.75 cost! Do you know that the cost of one liter of Normal Saline IV solution is less than a penny for the hospital to purchase and that they charge $50+ to the patient! Cj, did you take the 2k loanGRANT? If you did, their return profit on their 2k was $32,872.50.
Give em H-LL! What do you want to bet that it is actually manufactured in China or Mexico..you can find out.

I have no doubt some of the components were manufactured in China, Japan. India or maybe Puerto Rico!

We took the grant, but they ain't getting the chair or a signed paper agreement to that affect. We'll dig the money up elsewhere if need be.

And yes I will be looking into where exactly this chair is "manufactured."

Brook,
Wow that is outright robbery.. I cannot believe that this stuff is going on.. Just makes me so mad.. It is criminal. Glad he got the chair, and hope you guys get joy and freedom from it. But at that cost.. just not FAIR..

CJ,

Did it come with some lubricant to lessen the pain ?

Glen

Glen you are the BEST! I love how you can always find something to make me ROTFLMAO

Yep, the chair I donated after my wife passed cost the insurance company $34,752 (if they ever pay up, I keep getting denials although they approved the expense at the time). The Dynavox bill came in just under $19,000 (they just paid that). And that sort of rip-off is endemic to our healthcare system, thus the need for reform at a national level. Unfortunately there are way too many people making way too much money off this system for it to go down without a fight.

Nobody told me I had to donate these to the MDA but we did take the grants for both of them. I hand delivered the Dynavox, frankly because I was afraid it wouldn't get into the hands of someone who needed it in time. I donated the chair to the ALS center here in the Capital District so I guess I fulfilled that demand even if I didn't know about it. That's okay though since I know who got both of them and I approve. Since we paid cash for the van I felt under no obligation to anyone to donate it. That's why I donated it to the ALS Guardian Angels. From the limited amount of time I've spent on the forum, I saw that ALSGA was simply a pure altruistic organization. The most needy person (within reasonable traveling distance) would get the van. That suited my sense of fairness and I hold no regrets either for donating it or about the person who ultimately received it.
Dick

Dick, you know that I am one of your biggest fans! Thank you.

Wow Dick, Thank you so much.. You could not give it to a better organization than ALSGA.. You did a great thing, and gave to a great organization.. Thanks again..

Dick-thank you for paying it forward through ALSGA

Once again, the integrity of the folks on this forum humbles me!

Peace,

I am reading this post with eyes bulging and mouth hanging agape. We have someone coming to our house next week in preparation for ordering a PWC for my husband. I had no idea the expense. Our insurance carrier is supposed to cover 100% but you bet I will make sure of this before it is delivered. I cannot imagine why it would cost so much money. Seriously, more than a small economy car?

And no cup holders either!

Hal mentioned no cup holders. What about GPS? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back