Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Whitehouse Station
Help! I'm starting to panic a little . . . well a lot, actually. My husband Greg was diagnosed with ALS the day before Thanksgiving in 2009, so everything is still new to us. Hubby has lost the use of his right hand and arm, has frozen right shoulder, walks with a cane in his left hand and me holding on to his right side with one arm and onto his gait belt with my left hand, and when we go out, he's in a transport chair. Our friends and family know how much we enjoy travel, and they have been wonderful with assisting. In another week, we're going on a cruise. Two of my brothers and their wives are also going, and my brothers will be doing most of the pushing of Greg's chair and dealing with assisting him in the bathroom in public areas. Do any of you have any hints or suggestions that might help with this trip? I keep trying to envision what obstacles we might encounter, and I'm coming up blank except for a few things. We were able to get a handicapped cabin, and I've been assured that the shower will be accessible to him. The six of us will be eating together at a table for six, and my brothers and their wives know the challenges and limitations that hubby has. One thing I'll be doing is asking our waiter to bring Greg's meal first so that I could cut up the food in front of me and then just transfer it in front of him - a system that he prefers. I'll be bringing his coffee cup, his special bathing supplies, and his wedge pillow. Any other suggestions, insights, or experiences that any of you could offer would be wonderful. God Bless.

Claire~ I applaud you and your family for taking this trip. We thought about doing this until it is virtually too late. I know it will be challenging but I wish you safe travels and hope you have a wonderful time.

Claire, a warm welcome to the forum and I applaud your courage and your living in the moment! It sounds like you have carefully thought out how to make it comfortable and easy. Have a wonderful cruise! Where are you going?

We're going where it's warm - yea! From Bayonne we go to San Juan, to Saint Thomas, then Samana and then Labadee. Thanks for your warm wishes. I'm really getting scared about this trip (always second guessing myself) and I'm soooooo glad that I joined this site. It is comforting to talk with people who REALLY know.

I think it's great that you're doing this! I am in a similar stage to your husband and I would absolutely love to go on a trip like that, especially knowing that it might be my last chance. I would savor every moment and I'll bet your husband will too. With 5 people on the support team you will be well equipped to deal with any problems that arise. I'm sure the cruise people are used to accommodating a wide range of needs and should be very ready to help you. Congratulations on the trip and be sure and come tell us how it went.

Hi Claire and welcome!

We just went on a cruise in December, and you will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! The beauty of the cruise, is that you can be as busy, or NOT as you choose to be. The staff are very helpful! The rooms are tight, so pack as lightly as you can to give as much space in the room as possible. Other than that, bring your camera and video recorder to capture all the wonderful memories!

And drink lots of alcohol! :lol:

Hi Claire! Welcome to our forum, I am so glad you found us! First of all, I have been a travel agent for over 17 years, and have had the pleasure of many many cruises. First of all hun, forget the coffee cup, unless it has something special for him to grasp a hold of it. As far as the meals, they will be happy to cut the food up for him, so that way you can all be served at the same time. It sounds like you picked "formal seating" so you will be assigned a time and a table each time you eat. You will have the same waiter for each of your meals, and I would bet that waiter would bend over backwards to make you happy. That is their job. If you are a first time cruiser you might check with your doc for getting a sea sick patch or pills before you go. The ships have GREAT stabilizers and you most likely will not feel sick, but some people, (like my late husband) get sick even with the slightest movement. I would strongly recommend this especially if you are towards the front part of the ship as that is where there is a lot more motion. Yes, they take pictures of the cabin with a wide angle lens so prepare for a smaller room that you expected. Keep your valuables in the safe provided in your cabin. Do NOT leave anything valuable out laying around. The Cabin stewards are wonderful, but I have had a lot of clients had valuable stuff taken, so be careful. When you are in those ports and want to buy something, remember to barter, it is the way of the Caribbean! If you see a day trip that the cruise is offering, be sure to reserve it the FIRST day of embarkation because the good ones sell out fast. I am sure that the front desk can let you know if the tour is handicap accessible as well. The beauty salons get full before formal night, so if that is something you are planning book your time with them in advance to get an appointment. Remember that your drinks are not covered as a part of the cruise, and that bill at the end can be a shocker. I stick to ice tea as that is free, and my husband got a Coke pass for 20.00 so he could drink as much as he wanted. We loved the fu fu drinks too though,,Pina Coladas, Chi Chi's etc.... YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A GREAT TIME! Dont worry, the cruise lines have had plenty of experience with people with special needs, you will be well taken care of, I PROMISE! Which cruise line are you on? Please let us know how things went, and if you have ANY other questions you can just shoot me a message by clicking my Blubear name.
Oh yea, before I forget, a lot of cruise lines now are doing express check in and your travel agent, or you can do that by going on line and then printing out all of your boarding passes etc, that way there is no waiting in line at the pier! Bon Voyage!
Hugs, Kari

WOW Kari! Such great information!

Wow, Kari...such great info!
And I thought my suggestion of lots of alcohol was good! :roll:

Great having a Travel Agent on Board. So helpful. I had the handicapped suite on our last cruise.. Was large and awesome. I loved it.. Thanks for all the info bear girl..

No problem guys! If any one of you want to go anywhere, I am here for you and I will NEVER charge you any fees for my ALS friends....Name the place and I will find ya a deal!
Hugs to ALL!
Kari

Melody, I had this song going on in my head for the past few days. . . something about two pina coladas, one for each hand! Great advice! Thanks, Kari for the info. We have cruised several time before, but the reminders were good to hear! We're going on Royal Caribbean. Although we've cruised with them twice, we were on much smaller ships and didn't have the special needs that we have this time. We figure that since neither of us got seasick when we were in a cabin one cabin from the bow of the ship during a tropical storm (but we did get an excellent price!) that we should be okay on this one - have a cabin in the middle of the ship on the 7th deck. However, I keep getting this flash of the ship rocking and Greg flying down the hall because I've forgotten to put the brakes on the wheelchair! I especially treasure the assurance you've given me about the helpfulness of the staff. My brother signed us all up for the "my time" dining (or something like that) but I suspect we'll get into a time slot and stick with it. I think it would be helpful to have the same wait staff each evening. We won't be doing the formal evenings - Greg's tux doesn't have an elastic waist, so it doesn't work anymore! Hopefully this trip will go well. I'll let you know.
God bless,
Claire

Hi Claire, I had figured it was Royal Caribbean because of the stop in Labadee. You know that cruise line was actually getting flack from the community because they are still going to Haiti! Even though they generously donate a ton of food every time they are in that port! Plus it keeps some Haitians employed. I think its great what they are doing. "So you like Pina Coladas? Gettin caught in the rain" is that the song you have stuck in your head? Have a wonderful time, ...I am jealous! Let us know how EVERYTHING went when you get back!
Hugs, Kari

Kari, can we all come to your house?
Claire, your husand is so lucky to have you. Bravo for all that you have done and are doing to make him comfortable. I just wish I was married to someone like you..........;;;
Love
Irismarie

Irismarie, I would love to have you all here for a big reunion!
Hugs, Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back