Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
OH
City
Brunswick
Well - we are back to the mounds of snow and cold - not that Florida was all that warm - but at least we could leave with out scarves, mittens, hats, boots, etc, etc, etc....

Overall our trip went real well... I made it a whole week without 1 Xanax (though there were a couple of times I should have gave in!)

What did I learn the most? -- how much I have changed in the last year!

Things that would have sent me into a rage a year ago just were mildly - moderately annoying. For every bad thing something good happened. At one point security refused to let our stroller/wagon into the park (apparently you can't have a "cart" you pull) - Insted of losing it I insisted that the give me a stroller (mind you this was day 3, thus park 3 with no previous problems.) They gave me a voucher good for the week - the park stroller was easier to manuever - so worked well.

The scooter was a life saver - could have never made it without it. We packed the thing to the brim (including small cooler, umbrellas, clothes, etc...etc...etc.) Though Jim wouldn't use the disability pass to "cut" in line our waits were usually under 10 minutes (longest was 25.) The day before our trip he saw our family doctor to get pain meds (his pains are getting really bad - especially with activity.) The guy who wouldn't take Tylenol a year ago went through nearly 30 Vicodin in a week - but thank God we had them. - Made the pain managable. He found sometimes he had to walk - was getting to stiff from sitting in the scooter to long.

I began to realize how bad his memory and movements are getting (yes again)... amazing how it suddenly changes like that - everytime I think he is "evening out" I notice something new.

I lost my "purse/bag" at the park - left it on the bathroom door while changing Ruthie - someone returned it - my video camera and all!

Friday Ruthie came down with a 101.5 fever - but there were tornado warnings at the park so we spent the day at the hotel anyhow. Thank God for Tylenol. Saturday she seemed fine - until she fell asleep during the parade - noticed a slight fever again. Took her "home" and put her to bed. About 1130 she woke up screaming and burning up - soaked in sweat...long story short Ruthie and I got to experience another 1st - our 1st ambulance ride - we were in ER until after 5am Sunday for an upper respiratory & ear infection. Also got 1st taxi ride back to hotel. Got to bed about 530 and up at 7.

On the connecting flight home I realized we forgot a carry-on on the previous flight. (Some how with a sick girl, a tired girl, a husband with dementia - I lost track of it.) So our bag was on its way to Phoenix, AZ - apparently it wasn't ready for the cold weather. In it were some of our meds, my wedding ring, our camera, the kids "lovies" (favorite bedtime animals) and souveniers. I didn't even realize what all was missing besides the animals and camera - I was sick.

Tuesday at 1130pm - there was a knock on my front door - my bag found its way home all by itself! - I was SO excited. Working on getting the pictures uploaded.

Wednesday was Mikayla's 6th Birthday and tomorrow is her Birthday party. Today was follow-up for Ruthie - she is still sick - but it is a virus so we have to wait it out.

All in all it was a very memoriable trip and week.

Also while we were gone - we came home to find our driveway cleared by neighbors. So lucky to live in such a friendly community. Again tonight a neighbor came to lend a hand - Jim can no longer lift the shovel - he can only push it and this snow weighs a ton! I am working on plan B since our snowblower is of course on the blink!

Hope everyone is doing well - glad to be back!

Shelley,

I don't know how you did it!

Glad y'all had a good time, but sorry about Ruthie!

You are such a strong person!

I send you BIG hugs!

I'm with CJ - I don't know how you did it either!

I'm sure the kids really appreciate all you did for them on the trip and I'm really glad your lost bag found its way home!

I'm so happy you had the chance to enjoy the trip. Sorry Ruthie got sick, but glad it's not serious!

Sit back and relax for a few minutes and smile!..it must have been an amazing trip.

I'm nowhere near as courageous as you!

Glad to have you back! I hope that the WDW MAGIC soaked into your very bones and will give you strength for the days ahead. Cris, you make me lol. You should be named CRIS COURAGE! xo

welcome home shelley.....you sure won't forget that trip...rest up, i am sure you are exhausted!

Welcome home Shelley! I am glad that you had a chance to make (mostly) happy memories of a great trip. I agree with the others, you are a very brave person!

Welcome back....sounds like you had a great time.... Disney is so magical even with the mishaps.....

WOW i for one must give you koodos !
I am amazed !
you are doing a super job as a mother, wife and a caregiver and I know how hard it can be to juggle all of those roles.

you are an inspiration to me and i am sure to many others.

Bravo!You are amazing. Hope Ruthie gets well fast and you can keep strong. I admire you so much!

I admire you so much.... what a special lady you are..... L

Someone once said "The only person who truly needs a vacation, is someone who just got back from one" Thought that seems appropriate here.....
Hugs!

My, what a dull, boring, quiet life you lead. I certainly hope you get some excitement and challenge to shake you out of your humdrum existence!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back