Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Naperville
My father is very sleepy all the time. Even when you are talking to him and he appears to be listening, he'll just drift back into sleep. He uses his BiPap and FVC is holding steady at 24%. Mom wonders what all the sleepiness means. I don't have a list of all his medications but there is nothing new being taken that would explain his steadily decreasing level of alertness. ( He used to be more alert, able to watch TV, but now he quickly drifts off to sleep. ) I thought maybe his breathing was getting worse so Mom took Dad to the doctor to have FVC checked. The level was the same as before but the docs made some adjustments to the BiPap that Dad seemed to like. But the sleepiness continues. Is this common?

Debbie

Does he use the bipap 24/7? With an FVC that low if he is not using it full time his CO2 levels would build and the symptoms you described would happen.

That makes perfect sense Joel! I know Dad has the BiPap on a lot of the time but don't know if he has it on ALL the time. I'll shoot Mom an e-mail and ask, also sharing your explanation of things. Thanks!

Debbie

Thanks for posting this, Debbie. My dad has an FVC of 39% and is experiencing similar symptoms along with a sense of feeling light-headed all the time. He refuses the bipap, so based on this conversation, I feel I have a better understanding of the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back