Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Rydal
I am a caregiver who is taking care of a 84yr old lady who has a PEG. She is no longer using the feeding tube because she is able to feed herself. My question is, I was told by another caregiver to flush her tube 3 times a day using 60ml of water with each flushing. This has become a major problem for the patient. She is having to be changed (she wears adult diapers) every hour at night. This is starting to effect her in many unhealthy ways. I know this is all due by the amount of water that is being put into her body. I don't believe we should be cleaning her feeding tube 3 times a day since it is not being used. Once a day I believe would be good enough. I am very worried that the other caregiver will not listen to me. She is the type who believes she is always right, but in this case the patient's health is hurting.
Any advice on any of this?

they told us the same thing but we only flush glen 2 times a day. morning and night .60ml each time. glen is still eating by mouth yet.

We are only flushing also I try to do twice a day or if I see a lot of back wash to clear out according to what he ate. The 60ml is only 2 oz so at even 3 times a day that is less than a cup. Judge by total intake for a day to keep hydrated. As far as night changes maybe not so close to bedtime like a kid. Is there something else making her go every hr?

From my experience once is enough and georgia is correct, it is not much water. Just 2 oz

We are only flushing also I try to do twice a day or if I see a lot of back wash to clear out according to what he ate. The 60ml is only 2 oz so at even 3 times a day that is less than a cup. Judge by total intake for a day to keep hydrated. As far as night changes maybe not so close to bedtime like a kid. Is there something else making her go every hr?

No. She started wetting a lot more when we started flushing her tube 3 times a day. I stopped flushing it 3 times a day and went down to when it needed to be cleaned which was once or twice and never close to bedtime. She gets more sleep and feels better the next day. I am just worried I guess about the other caregiver not listening and hurting her more then helping her. When I say it is effecting her health, she sleeps all day, does not want to move and her appetite is not as it use to be. She can not afford to lose anymore weight and she has to keep her strength up...
Thank you all for your help.

If she is urinating that often, have her kidneys been checked? There could be something else going on other than the fluids from flushing her peg tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back