Diagnosis
01/2010
Country
US
State
MD
City
Havre de Grace
My husband has been taking a spill about once a month now. He uses a walker with wheels to assist him but he has fallen twice now since we got the walker. This morning he fell and the wall caught him. Unfortunately we now have about 3-4" hole in the wall and his wrist is very sore. Its his right wrist and he is not able to put any pressure on it so getting out of bed/chair is even more difficult since its his dominate hand. No swelling though and fingers are working but I want to have it x-rayed as soon as possible.

Unfortunately we are in the middle of a snow storm here in the mid-atlantic. I was supposed to fly for a bus. trip on Monday so I guess I'll have to cancel that trip and take care of my man. (weather may cx trip anyway). I hope it is not broken. He has never broken a bone in his life. I am sure at a minimum it is sprained. We are putting ice on it (well, frozen peas in a bag). For his safety I guess we really need to look into a powered wheel chair. Also, glad this happened while I am home anyway.

Sounds like he needs to get measured for that chair as soon as possible. It can take a while to actually get it. You may want to check with the loan closet at the ALSA and see if they have a PWC he can borrow til his comes in.

Good luck!

Just J...I'm so sorry to hear about your husband fall. They all seem to have these mishaps when the limbs get involved. I hope his wrist isn't seriously hurt. We teased my hubby...called them learning bumps.

Sorry to hear about your trip being cancelled(either way). I have to agree w/ CJ..he needs to be fitted for pwc. It could take up to 6 mo. to get.

Hugs and Prayers!

As well as ice, do you have an ace bandage? If so, wrap it starting at the fingers, doing a figure 8 at the wrist, and go 1/2 way between the wrist & elbow. You can put bag of peas in on wrap to keep them on.

Always wrap UP, not down. This helps to keep swelling down; swelling will cause more pain. If you don't have an ace, don't worry. But, either way, keep it propped up on a pillow, even with the hand straight up to the ceiling. And keep the ice on 24-48 hrs.

As long as he can move his fingers, it shouldn't be too bad.
Good luck- sorry for his fall!

Thanks for the advice on the pwc! I had no idea about the wait time. Will look into this right away. Mike is keeping his hand propped up on pillow. I've had to help him in and out of bed/chair. He usually doesn't need my help for this but he can't do it with just the one hand. Don't want any further injuries!

pooh, I fall all the time and have for the last almost 2 yrs. Lucky so far though--no real injuries. I use 2 canes whenever I can put my hands on them and a rollator when it's handy. I don't see how a pwc would even help me. My back and legs are so achy I could never sit in it all day and since I'm all alone here with 3 pets, I can't just stay in one place. I'd have to give them all away. Then I'd have no reason to stick around either. I guess if your husband's back isn't painful, a pwc might work, but if he can still walk with a walker, I doubt he'd accept the need for a power chair right now. Good luck!
Carol

Carol, thanks for your post. Mike does have a significant amount of pain in back and legs. He refuses meds for that though. Fortunately he is still working from home and he is able to sit at the computer for about 3 - 4 hrs at a stretch. Then he's flat out fatigued and must lay down for about the same. He is open to using a pwc. I went to scooter store on line today and just poked around. Have to call insurance company first and see if we have any coverage for that.

I purchased the walker for him when he started using two canes around the house (you mentioned doing this). The walker offers great stability but he has still fallen. Please take care of yourself. I am glad you have not had any injuries.

I'm sorry to hear about his fall! I'm afraid he is just going to have to resort to a wheelchair from now on.

Like the others said , its time for a PWC.

My defining moment was wiping out in the bathroom , and hurting my knee. This was hours after I left a indent in the gyproc with my head. The indent is not as noticeable, so I have not fixed as a reminder to not be stupid.

Hopefully , its just sprained.

Mare , very useful advice. Thanks for that.

Glen

Just J-
Before you do anything, check with your clinic or ALS association.
DO NOT get a wheelchair from the scooter store (or anywhere else) and put it on your insurance!

Insurance only pays for 1 chair every 5 years; what you get from a scooter store is not suitable for your purposes. If insurance pays for this chair, they will not pay for a more specific (and expensive) chair when you need it later.

Please- check with your clinic team first. They should have something in the loaner closet for you!

I wish I had seen this post earlier because my PALS fell yesterday and it seems he must have somehow blacked out.... because he didn't break his fall much. He landed with his teeth hitting the garage floor and says he didn't really remember falling, just landing. He was diagnosed just a week and a half ago, with just one month from referral to diagnosed, so he's really pretty shocked and depressed at this point. He isn't ready for a pwc yet, he doesn't even use a cane.

I know there will be falling, but I don't understand blacking out, if that's what happened.

Just J-- we are both caretakers of someone diagnosed just recently. What a sad thing to have in common.

LaurieS,

Let me put this question to you and your husband , as i was put to me. Wife and Dr's ganged up on me for that one.

"What will it take to make up your mind to get a PWC? Broken Bones , fractured skull ? You Realize that your healing will take a lot longer than usual."

My ego cost me a permanently sore knee. I dont remember the fall either, just sitting on the floor with my left leg in an unnatural position.

Eating the garage floor is the sign you have not been waiting for. Speak to your OT about this.

Glen

Glen- Very wise words! I will be calling the office Monday morning, and we have an appointment with the OT on Thursday.

Thanks so much!

Mare, thanks for the advice regarding insurance. I plan to call them this week to start investigating. I am so perplexed over my husbands progression. He does not of signs of ALS (clean emg, no tongue fasc.) the diagnosed is PLS but his progression has had an alarming rate. He only started using walker in October and now he's ready for pwc. And yes, he is open to using the pwc, he is not pushing back on that at all. The neruo is supposed to be referring him to the ALS clinic at Johns Hopkins. So we should be seeing them in the next few months.

Anyway, as of this morning Mikes hand is swollen and throbbing. Still can't put any pressure on it. Tomorrow we will get referral to an Orthopedist so that we can have x-rays and treatment all at one location. I am told hospital ERs rarely set breaks anymore and will give you temporary cast then refer to an Ortho. We need one stop shopping since its difficult to get him around particular in the snow.

Laurie ~ I hope your husband will stay mobile as long as possible.

Laurie-
Since your husband's progresion has speed up, see if you can get the neuro to get you into Hopkins sooner. Getting with a clinic team can be so helpful to you when you are dealing with the DME issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back