Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Jose
So... I almost got into an argument with the CIGNA caseworker over the extension of Glen's company disability a couple weeks ago.. .she calls and says she got the form from the neuro, but not any visit notes, and they were having a medical staff meeting and she didn't want any problems... now.. I have a copy of said form (CIGNA'S form, mind you) On it the doctor has put "ALS, terminal diagnosis, quadraperisis, unable to care for self, unable to perform duties at work" Seems pretty dang clear to me. I actually asked her what part of "terminal diagnosis, unable to work" they were having trouble understanding.

So today I get the paperwork that says they have extended payments to March 15, when they will review again, and please be sure to inform them if there are any improvements that will allow him to go back to work.

Sorry... but isn't that kind of cruel!? I know it's a form letter but geez! He switches from short term to long term disability in April.. less money but less dealing with these geniuses, which may be worth the trade off!

Hmmmm.... Glen is in fact a rocket scientist with secret clearance. He also happens to have dementia. Perhaps I SHOULD send him back to work?

I am so sorry that you have to deal with these less than helpful people. They probably would not notice if Glenn had dememtia or not.. So sad what Cals and Pals have to go through for normal everyday situations. I remember a PAL telling me that the SS told her that she did not have ALS bad enough for Disability.. Exact words from a worker. I guess it is like being a little bit pregnant.. Hope you get this crap worked out. Wanted to let you know I get it completely..

KatieC..That's terrible. You would think that as much money as they make in a year they would be able to afford some common human kindness! They just don't understand what PALS go through.Can be very frustrating when CALS have to deal w/ Them!

hOPE THINGS WORK OUT FOR YOU!..hUGS AND pRAYERS.

Wow, why do things like this have to be so hard! These insurance companies act like they are all going bankrupt! My dad is on a supplemental plan with medicare and they have denied him to go to the ONLY ALS clinic in our state. He appealed, and they referred him to another neuro instead. Turns out that that particular neuro was partners with the neuro my dad already has, and he doesnt know anything more about ALS than his own neuro! We appealed it again, and got denied because it is out of network and they are suppose to be able to give you someone comparable. (which there isnt because there is just the one clinic in Seattle) So, my dad's neuro is doing the appeal again. I wonder if the ALSA would be able to help. GRRRRRRRR!
Hugs, Kari

Katie, I love the fact that you can find some humor in this...

Here is Glen with ALS and these meatballs send you a form letter asking to be alerted the moment he shows enough improvement to come back to work so they don't have to pay out benefits. I'm sorry to hear he has dementia but thinking about sending him back to his former occupation as a rocket scientist threw me off my chair!

I apologize for the chuckles and snorts that comment brought on but it brought some much needed comic relief for me.

No apologies needed! Without humor I'd have thrown myself out a tall building long ago!

My husband Mark had to retire on disability from his job with the University of Texas after 27 years...also with ALS. Thankfully, on his car note and several credit cards he had taken out life/disability insurance. On the paperwork regarding the car loan, we've had to fill it out every quarter. It too asks if there is improvement and such nonsense. I firmly believe that if the illness is terminal, why doesn't that clear the way just like a death would?

Feeling your aggravation!

Jolynda

That really really is rotten! WHY do they do this to us? My daughter is in Australia and keeps writing wondering WHY things are not getting done, WHY I still cannot take a bath, WHY I have to pay 500€ to have electric legrests on a wheelchair... I justhope with all my heart she never has to fact these complete bastards who could surely open their eyes and their hearts and do their jobs BETTER.
So much sympathy with you!
Irismarie

And most likely you and the doc will have to fill out forms every year for the Long Term Disability Insurance. We do. They ask for every detail you can imagine! I feel like having a BIG stamp made that says: "NOT DEAD YET" and "I STILL CAN'T ZIP MY PANTS OR BUTTON MY SHIRTS!" I'd like to stamp that across their forms. We're talking questions about exactly how high can you lift your right arm...how bout the left arm...etc...

It is terrible to have to fill these forms out detailing all the further losses every year. But if you don't fill them out, your benefits will be stopped.

We had an NHS nurse to come out and assess Mum - Mum was having a "good" day , so because her right to assisted care costs rested on the report from the nurse she didn't qualify .

I told the nurse that Mum's illness was terminal but she just said that it all rested on how Mum was on that particular day.

On another occasion , when we were applying for the higher rate of another benefit , we were told that because we couldn't prove that Mum would die within 6 months she didn't qualify......................as it happened , she did die within 6 months and never got a penny towards her costs.

hugs to you , Katie.

Meg
x

What is wrong with the little people who process our filled-in forms? Anone would think they were paying us out of their own pockets!

Katie, I love it! SEND GLENN BACK TO WORK! ROTFLMAO and snorting like a pig! Has your life calmed down just a little...you all had just toooo much to go through last year. hugs, Kay Marie

Katie - If you were to send Glen back to work he'd probably do a better job then half the screw-ups that work there!

Katie

I'm pretty new here on the forum but i just wanted to express my frustration with hearing your situation. Insurance companies are the worst... especially here in California! You would think with all this talk of health care reform they'd actually be proactive in revamping their approval processes. Ha.. right.

Here's hoping it will get cleared up soon for you. Maybe in a couple months, this will be just like a bad dream.

-mel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back