Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
KY
City
Louisville
Has anyone used the Care Connection program and/or Lotsa Helping hands website tool by the ALS Association? I went to an ALS Assoc breakfast yesterday and both were highlighted.

The Care Connection program is a program that includes a network of volunteers from the community that helps the PAL/CALS with the day to day responsibilities. It can be family, friends, girl scout troop, church members, etc. link

Lotsa Helping Hands is a website tool a designated loved one/friend uses to assist the family to organize their offers of help by using an online calendar and task list. Family, friends and neighbors can go to the website and look at the needs and select somewhere to help and plug themselves in. It could be bringing dinner on Thurs, grocery shopping on Tues morning, respite for a couple of hours on Saturday, walking the dog, mowing the lawn, driving the kids to school, etc. link

We did not use anything like this for my Dad but I thought this sounds like a great way to help a family already stressed and overwhelmed to organize there help and could be used not for just an ALS diagnosis. There have been times that I have wanted to help friends or neighbors and offered help but I was not sure what was really wanted or needed. I would even be willing to help a PALS/CALS I did not really even know in my area (maybe as a peer referral through the ALS association), I could look at their tasks list and identify areas I may be able to help. An example would be my wonderful husband. He is always so willing to help but really he is a man who needs specifics. LOL! He is not comfortable holding hands or small talk but he would be great at mowing the lawn or shoveling the drive way, etc.

Has anyone else used this or done something similar that they created themselves?

we are looking into that right now dana.....sounds like it might work. i am having a little bit of a challenge with the "focus on me" if we go this route...although i know it is good to let others help.....so hard

I've heard about that program too, but have not used it. We have used google calendar and gmail for all the caregivers. They all know the password to sign into the same account and we keep the calendar online so all can see.

Thanks for posting this. I will have to show my in laws this. Sounds like a wonderful program!

Hi,
Yes. I have experience with Lotsa Helping Hands. My friend was diagnosed ten years ago and at that time a group of us got together to help with various tasks, meals, etc. We did it the old fashioned way by keeping a calendar, etc. We used a book called "Share the Care" as our inspiration. It worked pretty well but as time went by helpers would come and go, the baton was passed and new groups would hop on board.
Recently my friend was hospitalized with H1N1. She was very, very ill and nearly died. After 7 weeks in ICU and 5 weeks in rehab she is coming home on Tuesday! She is now trached and has a PEG. She will need round the clock care but she will be home with her family where she belongs. After she was hospitalized another friend of hers set up an account on Lotsa Helping Hands. I think it is great because:
* it allows her husband to send e-mail updates to everyone who is registered with her site.
* it sets up calendars for meals, errands, etc. where helpers can sign up right online.
*It gives updates on my friends conditon on the site itself.
*It allows visitors to leave messages, pictures, etc for my friend to see.

Anyway, I would highly recommend it.

sounds great will have to check it out

Hummmm...got another forum member that could really use this....I will check into it further to see if it can help her! Thanks for the info!
Hugs,
Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back