Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
Anyone notice a terrible decline in speech after PEG procedure?

My husband's speech has declined rapidly since he came home after having this done. I could pretty much understand him most of the time. Now it really is becoming very difficult to decipher what he is saying. This has happened in a matter of 2-3 weeks. Our son is usually good about getting what he says, but now looks at me with the :?:

Of course, I'm not the only one that has noticed this. Friends of his are shocked at the change, so I know I'm not hard of hearing! LOL

This is adding a LOT of frustration to the tube routine, as I cannot understand what he is trying to tell me. I don't know which is worse - his getting angry or his getting silly about the whole thing and freaking me out! His emotional lability is not in check right now either! Use your imagination...or not.

sorry this is happening cj....i hope maybe his body is just tired and sill recovering....you kno how the speech is worse when we are tired.

saying prayers for you guys

CJ, sorry to about your husbands decline. Earl's speech has gotten weak, but slightly slurred. Maybe it is the trsain on their systems recovering from the procedure.

I'm be praying for you guys. Hopeing it is only a temporary issue and will improve w/ time!

CJ,

... maybe from the stress/trauma? He didn't have an easy time of it, and you know what a bad combination that is for a PALS. Maybe, if it is from this, he can gradually regain some ground back.

morning Brooke, Sorry to hear that news. I just know my speach gets much worse when I am stressed. Lets hope that is it and he will grad get it back? Oh, day by day... we take it day by day.... today is going to be a good day? that is what I keep telling myself..Hugs, to you, Linda

Thank you all for your support! I'm hoping it's the strain and stress. He is feeling a lot better today and his voice has improved a tiny bit.

Oh- and I've alleviated some of the frustration with cleaning and flushing, etc... I have emptied my pretty sewing box and turned it into a "PEG Kit." ;-) It holds all the supplies I need to clean and dress the site. I have him recline in his chair to let me clean, dress, tape. Then everything goes back nicely in the sewing box and it sits ready on the end table for the next time. I only have to get the syringe and cup of water for the flush. This is a lot easier than going to the kitchen, pulling out the stuff from the medicine cabinet and trying to do all that while he is standing in front of me. He is over a foot taller than me and having the PEG tube right at eye level and having to practically hold the tube above my head for it to flush was getting to be a bit much.

Don't know why I didn't think of that before. Some days I don't think I have any brain cells left. Danged Obsessive Compulsive Disorder! I really could do without it at this time! LOL

CJ-

You will have your RN license in no time!

Hey CJ,

My first thoughts are that he was tired after to procedure and its taking a bit of time to bounce back. Then I came accross your post pretty well saying the same thing.

I found , after 4 or 5 days , that the dressing and gauzes were actually not helping at all. I left it open with some triple action polysporin on the site. Now , I have to say , mine has a runny nose - ie: there is a little bit of discharge, that looks like a childs runny nose (snot green). I had that discharge tested by my GP at the lab , and its just my body rejecting a hair or sweat that got in the site.

If you go the open/poly route , find a couple of old tshirts for him to wear.

It will take some time for the site to completely heal.

Glen

I love your idea of putting everything in a sewing box... I have an antique one on legs. I think I will follow your idea.. Thanks............How are things going today? I sure hope he gets a little better each day.. Hugs, Linda

Brooksea~ I just want to say God bless you, girl. I think you are amazing. Absolutely amazing. You are a great help to us.

Please - you are embarrassing me! LOL I'm just such a perfectionist and get flustered easily when things are not just right. Hmmmm... ALS and it's "flusteration" - maybe a new word for the urban dictionary?

CJ-

How are things going? Any improvement in his speech (or, back to where he was?)
Also, how's the PEG site doing and how is he tolerating the tube feedings?

How are you holding up?

I did find one thing.

Its not bad manners anymore to talk while eating ;)

One of the perks of the Peg?!?

His speech is better! The site is better!

He still won't "mind" me though! LOL

Thank y'all for your concern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back