Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
SC
City
Williston
Hello to all… this is my first post, so please bear with me. By luck I was able to come across this wonderful site yesterday. I spent time yesterday reading helpful posts to my father-in-law, who has ALS & found all very helpful. Many touched my heart & as I read some of the posts made me cry. It’s so crazy how just the smallest things can make you tear up & once you do that it’s so hard to stop.

Anyway… as a caregiver I would like to share my experiences/thoughts, etc…

My father in law was diagnosed almost or right at 5 years ago now. My husband is the oldest son of four children (2girls & 2 boys). We made the decision to move over 10 hours away so we could help care for his father. We have lived with his parents for a little over a year now.

When we first moved, his father was still able to go to work, drive, eat (most of the time with assistance), walk to the bathroom & all the little things that everyone takes for granted. As time went on it was harder & harder for him to do things & needed more & more help. This past July everything went down hill & fast. He made the decision to get a feeding tube due to him losing right at 100 pounds since he was diagnosed.

A few days after the tube, he came down with pneumonia & was hospitalized in ICU for 5 weeks. While in the hospital he had a tracheotomy. Before he was released from the hospital my mother in law & myself had to go through some training such as: CPR, Vent, general care, etc… the part I found to be the hardest was the trache… having to do the suctioning. Just the thought of shoving a tube down his throat made me feel terrible. When it came time for me to do it, I became overwhelmed & started to cry right after I squeezed the saline & I couldn’t stop. Once I completed the suctioning my father in law assured me I did a “GREAT JOB” & family members giving me hugs saying it was alright~ when all I really wanted was to run to the bathroom so I could cry in peace & try to control my emotions. I was able to complete & pass all my training. :razz:

Once he was able to come home, the real work began. No more 24 hr nurse/doctor care, it was all us. By us I mean, my mother in law, husband, our children & myself. My husband’s siblings will come over (they all live about an hour away) at least once a month.

At times it’s a bit overwhelming, its so hard, but I try not to show it. Sometimes when I am sitting in the living room with my father in law, I look over at him and I just want to cry. Just seeing the way he is now, it’s so sad. All he does is sit in his chair all day long watching TV. I know that it will get a lot worse & he will never get any better. My husband & I have come to terms with that. I don’t believe my mother in law has come to terms with everything. I know in her own time she will. I feel right now she is still in her anger stage. I pray for her often & try my best to help her in everyway I can. I couldn’t & wouldn’t want to ever imagine watching my husband/best friend dieing more & more everyday.

Anyway, that’s a little piece of my story. I will share more as I think of things. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I sure hope this site will help me get through this tough time.

Welcome and so sorry for the reason you are here. This is a great site and it certainly helped me get through the tough times. There are a lot of amazing people on this site. Speaking of amazing people - sounds to me like you and your family fall into that category as well. Also sounds like you father-in-law is a great guy. Take care of yourself the best you can.

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story! No one on the earth can understand our journey the way that it is understood and supported by the PALS and CALS on this forum. We are here for you and yours. Hugs, kay Marie

When reading your thread i just thought of what a wonderful Daughter-in-law you are. You husband and family are so blessed to have you in their family. You are so giving and thoughtful. Please keep coming back to the forum. It really can get you through some hard times. Hugs, Linda

What a wonderful daughter in law you are! There are just so many people who don't have the help or support that they need, so please understand just how valuable you are! Yes, this is such a heart wrenching disease. Your father in law sounds like he is emotionally handeling things pretty well with all things considered. Thank you so much for sharing your story, and PLEASE feel free, anytime to come here and vent and keep us posted. Caregivers need support too! We are all here for you, you are not alone hun.
Hugs,
Kari

Welcome..sorry for your reason for being here, but as the others sadi, this is just the place you need to be. It's ok to come on here w/ questions, comments and rants(venting). wWe are all here to help each other as much as possible.

Your family is truly blessed to have you there as CALS. Our prayers and many hugs to you!

That was so very moving. Thank you for sharing our journey nsm1396.

I hope you will share more.

Thinking of you! Take a deep breath and know that you are doing an amazing job. Not an easy task for sure! Your father-in-law is very lucky to have you with him!

many blessings to you and your family for the sacrifices you are making everyday to care for this dear man. what a great display of love.

Thank you all so much for all the kind words. I know you all know how much it means to hear words of encouragement. It really does help to talk to people that are actually experiencing the same things I am. I have really learned a lot by reading other posts. I'm so happy I found this site. I just wish I would have found it sooner. There are a lot of things I can ask my father in law, but there are a few questions I dont want to---if you know what I mean? So I can find most, if not all the my unasked questions answered here.

Thanks again for all the support!

Natasha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back