Diagnosis
12/2006
Country
US
State
illinois
City
Tiskilwa
Ok all, looking for advise. Earl(PALS), got his PEG last week. He has started having breathing issues in the last couple of days. He says his chest feel tight and he's short of breath. The neuro dr. said that this might happen. So, what I would like to know is...has this happened to any of you and what do we do about it?

He wants to try a breathing treatment this afternoon. He's been in his bipap most of the last 2 days. This is unusual for him. Usually he only needs it when sleeping. Wearing his mask most of the day is causing issues with his neck...'sigh'.:(

Would appreciate any advise you could give!

Hi Cris,

My mother is on a ventilator now. She tried the bi-pap before while she was in ICU but it was extremely hard for her as it was really hard for her just to inhale enough to get the support. Then a few months later she got a PEG, but due to complications she is now being fed through a feeding tube through her nose.

It is only time when Earl will have to make the decision either to get a trach or not. I only have my own experiences to share, but will help all that I can. Please let me know if there are any more questions...

Love to you and Earl

Margaret

Did anyone have problems breathing after their PEG was put in? If so was there anything you did to relieve it? How long did this last?

Cris, No problems here. I have read on other posts that Pneuominia (sp) can happen sometimes. Does he have a temp? We were put on antibiotics as a precaution. HUGS Lori

Lori...nope, no fever. He was also put on antibiotics. Thhanks anyway..

Cris - sorry for the complications, Jen did not have breathing problems associated with the surgery. Has Earl had his FVC tested recently? Thats what started our two month trip (we are still on) she had alot of tightness in the chest around Thanksgiving and her FVC was at 26% We tried a nebulizer at home but Jen did not tolerate it very much. One thing she is on now is Baclefen (sp) that does seem to help. Though she has gotten a Trache since then as well.

Hope this helps. Dave

Cris, I came home with oxygen after I had my peg put in about thrree to four weeks after I was ok daytime,I just did a sleep test for night and waiting for results the oxygen goes through the bipap. It should improve for Earl. Beverley

Thanks Davec and Blackpool...The info and ideas both help. Yes he has been tested, before the peg was put in (25%). He is already on baclefen... No oxygen yet..lets pray it stays that way..not sure I'm ready for that, still dragging myself out of the hole I fell into about 3 mo. ago!

Hi, Cris-
How's Earl's breathing? any better?

I'm just curious- why did the neuro think "this might happen"?

No, he's not any better....

The nuero said that it's normal. The PEG puts pressure on the diaphram...?!

Thanks for asking Mare...Hope all is well w/ you

No, he's not any better....

The nuero said that it's normal. The PEG puts pressure on the diaphram...?!

Thanks for asking Mare...Hope all is well w/ you

I am not sure I can agree. The PEG is put in the stomach, how can that affect the diaphragm? My FVC was very low when I got my PEG and I did not notice any change.

I hate to say this, Cris, but my hubby didn't have any of the breathing/tightness issues after his PEG. He is on a non-invasive vent and was on it during his procedure. Dog gone it...

Thanks guys, not real good news.."sigh" Guess we'll just have to deal, huh?

Better note..got a battery pack for Bipap....now I just have to call med supply co and ask them to please send the RIGHT cord now. Thinking this could be fun. Sad part of this is...they gave up the Biupap to. They should know which cord to send. :(

I don't understand the breathing issues Earl is having with the PEG cris. My husband is having problems, but not breathing related. Did they check him for pneumonia?

Did they use a local or general anesthetic ?

Is it possible that he was marginally breathing , and the peg surgery was enough to affect that?

Maybe this question will spark some feedback for you.

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back