Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
OH
City
Brunswick
Well, first ALS Clinic appt has come & gone.

Main change - NO MORE DRIVING. Was not expecting that yet. But with decreased reaction times, increased spacisity in limbs (especially right side) and increase in FTS symptoms they think it is to much of a risk to let him drive.

Swallowing reflex is good, strength is still good. Developed a slight drop foot bilaterally. And decreased mobility in lower limbs.

They increased his Baclofen - so hopefully it will help the night "tremors" and he will stop kicking me at night!

He also got his handicapped parking permit - he's a little bitter since now he can park in the "good" spaces but he can't drive.

Funny ... yet sad... his first thought about not driving was "I can't take the girls to McDonalds anymore" - his weekly Monday playdate with the girls.

Sorry to hear about the restriction, but will probably be safer. My hubby was very unhappy when he decided to quit driving too.
(that could be cause I'm a horrible driver!..hehehe)

I hope you will be able to come up with an alternative mode of transport for those all important playdates with the girls. Maybe someone else drive and pick-up?

Many warm hugs to you all!:)

yep, keep those playdates.

i drove around the block yesterday just to see if i could it. i didn't go any farther and the kids were all in school. rebel, i know. i could drive if no other cars ever were on the road and i could make reeeeally wide turns, and there was never the risk of me having to swerve to avoid a car, and if i could go as slow as i wanted.

losing your independence sucks....give jim a hug

So sorry to hear about the loss of driving. I know you don't realize how much independence it gives you until it's gone. I agree to keep up the date nights. Even if someone else has to do the drive and pick up.

Hey Shelly and Jim: I can identify. While you were at clinic, I was driving to Independent Neurologist in Cleveland for confirmation of my disability for State Teachers' Retirement. Seeing Dr (x) was more like seeing an attourney for cross examination. Anyway, sorry to hear that your driving is now restricted. I kept thinking all the way back from Cleveland (to Wooster) "I really shouldn't be doing this. I hope no one crosses my path or does a panic stop." I"m right there with you, pal. Sorry I have not said hello 'till now, fellow Ohioan. --JK

I'm sorry to hear that and I can relate. I had to stop driving this summer. It is a HUGE inconvenience when you have kids! Good luck making the adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back