Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Vancouver
My father got his machine a couple of weeks ago. So far the full face mask works the best for him. The issue is his skin will break out where the mask lays on his face. He does have sensative skin, he can use lotions with lots of fragrance or colors.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi There is a product available called duoderm which is a lightly padded bandaid type of dressing. It can be cut to fit the size of the area. It creates a pad for the face mask to rest on, helps relieve some of the pressure. Also straps on head gear may be too tight. Check with Dr. to get the product available in the States.
Hope this helps.

Can you get the "duoderm" at the store?

Maybe if you went to a medical supply...Duoderm might not be the answer as it has a gel like substance that adhers to the skin-normally used for wound care or to prevent bedsores. Could you phone the company that set you up with the BIPAP and have them come and help you with this issue? They may have something that is hypoallergenic-I am certain that your Dad is not the first one to have an issue like this-go to the search box here and search BIPAP-may be an answer there.

My husband also had terrible skin problems from his mask. His skin was red and raw (sometimes even bleeding) at the bridge of his nose and on his forehead. They told us he was not a candidate for the nose mask because he is a mouth breather. After having them out a couple of times, we discovered that there is a bi-pap mask that has just the nose pillars and a small mask that fits around only the mouth. Nothing touches the bridge of his nose or his forehead anymore and he has not had any skin issues around his mouth.

I found padded moleskin from Dr Scholls that can be cut and stuck on the hard part of the mask to cushion the nose works great

Penny

We called the company that supplied the mask and they only suggested putting lotion on his face. We'll continue to talk to them. My father seems to be allergic to everything. I feel like nothing that is suppose to help him goes easy, ugh.

Actually, the Duoderm or the moleskin applied TO THE MASK are excellent suggestions! You need to fire the durable medical equipment company-tell them "WRONG ANSWER!" and find another company. Lotion? OMG!

My husband had the very same problem...ooozing and actually bleeding! The irritation was due to a sudden allergic reaction to latex. Ask for a non-latex mask. That solved his problem completely...hope it works for you.

Louie
former cALS to husband, Jeff (aka Grumpy Old Coach): diagnosed: 5-4-2006 d: 7-5-2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back