CALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum and would like to start off with a brief intro. My mom was diagnosed almost a year ago with ALS and has progressed too quickly. :cry: She basically is at the stage where eating is all she can do and even at that she begun to have trouble swallowing.

We have her on a wheelchair at all times and she can only stand with a walker.One of her problems is the leg jumping she has. Around 2PM, 9:30PM, 5AM everyday her right leg violently jumps(her very first ALS symptom) and is a big annoyance for her since the only way to make it stop is to stand up(well we have to help her stand up). Unfortunately, the poor lady can only stand for a tad bit and would need to sit down again (and few minutes later the cycle would start again). Unfortunately, it lasts a long time for her(1+hr).

She doesn't have twitches/jumping anywhere else really(except a couple fingers).

She's already gone through a few meds which of course haven't helped yet. I was wondering if any of you knew some meds that have helped with a similar issue. I'm sorry if this topic was brought up already but my searches couldn't find the actual meds people are using.

Thanks all for your time in reading this and God bless you all.

my husband had more widespread 'jumping', he takes baclofen...seems to help.

Baclofenn or Quinine. My doc put me on quinine and it worked for cramps. A lot of docs don't realise that it can be used for that. Some worry about the possible side effects but they didn't seem to bother me.

AL.

hey all..thanks for your response. Baclofen my mom already tried and it didn't really help in her case. I guess it could be different for everyone.

I've just started reading about Quinine and maybe I'll suggest it to her doctor.

Thanks for the ideas again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back