Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Little Elm
My dad was diagnosed in 2006 and has slow progression ALS..he is now wheelchair bound ...but can still walk ..10 steps than collapses.

what can I do to help him feel useful?

He is a healthy individual. He has been a trainer in the past. He can no longer go to the gym due to not being able to walk far. He feels he is useless.

Any suggestions?

Hey.A lot of the forum people probally arent on tonight.I'm sure you'll get a reply soon.God Bless.:D

OK, let's see.... If he can walk a few steps, I'd think he could use his chair to get to a stationary bike at the gym? Or do you have access to a pool? You don't mention if he has use of his hands/arms... If so, then he should be able to use a computer, maybe help people developing training plans even if he can't physically get them to a workout? And around the house, he could certainly still dust, fold laundry, etc.

I bet getting him online would be a real plus.. he can connect with other people, research new training methods, etc!

Does he have any other interests besides the gym? Would he be interested in working with young people on fitness programs at local schools, or volunteering at the Y? I know our local YMCA has programs for all ages, and volunteers of all ages and capabilities helping out. There are so many organizations that need help, I'm sure he could put his brains and his experience to use.

How about local chapters of ALSA? They might appreciate having some help, too ... perhaps calling newly diagnosed PALS, or working with a support group. People can accomplish a lot from a wheelchair. (Look at FDR! And Joel and GrampAl, our moderators on this forum!)

Is he interested in family history? He can do a TON of research online, and make a contribution to future generations of your family by putting together stories he knows or discovers.

There's a lot of life out there still waiting to be lived, and he has a role to play. Tell him to get moving! Explore his interests. See who he can help.

There is not much my husband can do on his own (he can not walk or use many of the muscles in his body), but I do put him to work on the computer! He spends hours checking ads for purchases I need to make and has also gotten very involved in the stock market. We can't afford to spend much, but he has managed to double our small investment! If your dad is able to use a computer there are many options.

Hi, I was a former fittness instructor, and I still stay involved by judging cheer-leading try-outs, fitness talent, things like that. I just try to make myself useful as I can, hope your dad find's us, maybe we can help get him motivated.:p:p:p

For someone who was physically very active, I think Katie gave some great suggestions. BethU also gave some great ideas to keep him stimulated. Have you thought of those seated stationery bikes, or an elliptical machine (the ones that move in sync with your upper extremities. As a former trainer, he may feel some reward from being able to be physical-as long as he's not pushing himself too hard.

Peace,
Melody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back