Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
oz
State
oz
City
RURAL
Web is scheduled for his PEG on 15 December. I feel :cry: and I feel :) He does too. It will help so much but...still sad about all the changes. So does everyone get the long one first and then get switched to a shorter one that can be replaced? You would think that I would know but I can't remember. Any suggestions on what to look for or ask for-one type versus another? Thanks.

I think, once it's in, you'll both be :)

I'm not sure how it works ... it probably depends on the doctor. My first (long) one had a clamp, and it was easier to use than the little shortie I have now. (Easier to hide, too.)

Good Luck to you guys on the 15th. I know you will both be :smile: to have it over with.
Dana

Good luck! I'll be thinking of both of you on Dec 15th.Erica

Can't answer your question, but sending luck you and your husband! Please let us know how it goes when the time comes!

Kay Marie, count me in the long tube first tube group. Like Beth, I think that it is the choice of the doctor who puts it in. Maybe the initial ones are put in because they are the easiest for our bodies to adapt to? I am still on my first tube after 9 months and my ALS doctor told me that they try to get a year out of the first one so I am probably ok for a bit yet.

I would be interested in knowing what they tell you if you ask. Not that I regret having my peg, whatever kind it is, it has meant so much to my well being and I know it will for Web too. It is a very visible (but hidden, if that makes any sense) symbol of the changes that are happening to us, that we are not the same as we were. But that aside, I will use anything that makes my life easier, including a food hose.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Barry

OMG-I am so twisted! When I saw this "count me in the long tube first tube group." all I could think of was...OMG! Web will love being a member of this group!

Barry, I am tempted to go and buy a magnifying glass so that I can truly appreciate and drool over your new avi! Can you see mine? I tried to change it but I can't see it myself.

Well, I asked my surgeon about a mic-key and she looked at my tube and told me I was too big.

Ya, but what about the feeding tube? I thought to myself

It seems that she can only get the mic-key up to a 4.5 cm length. Currently , my long tube is between 5.5 and 6 cm.

So , unless I want to walk around like Beth with a 14 yr old woody , I will be sticking withe the long tube.

indigosd, we are all at least a little bit twisted here, but I never even dreamed that my "long tube first tube" comment could be bent that way! Maybe I should have said "long tube second tube". I will just not say anymore on that except to say that "size does matter" at least when it comes to peg tubes. ;-);-)

I don't see your avatar so maybe give it another try, I am excited to see what you ""look like".

Glen, consider this tube

We ended up getting a KC MIC Gastrostomy Feeding tube 0100-20.
This tube has been great, no problems or clogs. Also the tube is short so I don't have to worry about it as it does not get in the way and we don't have to tape it up to hold it.

Gastrostomy Tubes.jpg

Joel, did you get this first? I am going to ask if Web can get this! Tussen tak :] Glen and Barry, I just love you guys-you are so twisted and funny! Web would love the 14 year old woody look!

The first tube everyone gets has a bell on the inside, to hold it in your stomach. It also has quite a long tube which has to be dealt with, usually by taping it to your stomach.

Once the stoma has healed sufficiently, usually 6 weeks, there are choices for replacement, although this tube can last up to 2 years. A doctor has to remove this initial tube and install the replacement. After that you can change it yourself at home.

Wow! Greg is being horribly obnoxious about being a member of the "long tube" club. I'll never hear the end of it!
He got his PEG in May of this year. The doctor has not ever said a thing about getting a different tube.

I think you will be smiling afterwards, too. Things are so much easier for both of you. It is also such a blessing to be able to cross "suffering while eating" and choking off your list.

Counting down the minutes and will be soul happy to cross those 2 off our list!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back