Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
Nikki's Thread "How to make things easier" where "remotes" were mentioned... now there's remotes for table top fans, floor fans, heaters and even ceiling fans. Guess I've got to admit to my age... I can remember having to get up to change the channel on the TV!

And... there were only channels from 2 to 13 and at 1 AM they played the national anthem and went off the air!

Oh yea... and having to pull up the garage door at my parents house (which was packed... car parked in the driveway) to get the "push" lawn mower out to make my allowance. :)

Yeah, yeah. And you had to walk to school, uphill both ways, during a blizzard in the sweltering heat! ;^)

Matter of fact... I did walk to school. Yellow rubber rain coat (when needed) too! And... a book bag! No tablet, no phone and no computer at home. :-(

Al, there are sensors that can be put on windows sliding doors, etc and remotes for them. Your choices are limited but it is possible.

Al I'm rolling about laughing as I imagine this old man saying: "humph, the kids these days have it so easy - when I was a kid I had to use a complicated remote control to change this thing called a television... now all you do is think what you want to watch and it appears as a hologram in front of you, what is the world coming to!" .... :lol:

Tillie, I think I was in my mid twenties before I even got a TV with a remote. Before that I had to get up and twist the channel knob AND re-adjust the rabbit ears antenna for the new channel !

Times sure have changed... I went to a vocational high school (Vo Tech) my major was machine shop... a rarity today if at all. At lunch time you could leave the school grounds and go anywhere you wanted just be back in time for next class. We could smoke in the parking lot! In my senior year I was 18 years old and the legal drinking age back then was 18. There was a small bar with two pool tables not far from school (drove a car my Junior and Senior years) and some of us guys would go for a couple of cold ones and a quick game of pool. My first class after lunch was Health Class, the teacher asked the students what they had for lunch and she'd give them the nutritional value. Being somewhat of a class cut up when she got to me I told her, "Two bottles of Bud and a bag of chips."

She told me, "Get your books and get out... stay in the Principals Office until I get down there." Got a three day vacation and a phone call to my parents." No laws broken. True story. :)

Of course 18 is the legal drinking age here.

I vote kids should go back to the real days and have to grow papyrus and make their own paper, buying it off the shelf is just plain sissy stuff... :lol:

Al you have to be about the same age as me. We are full of knowledge and history that causes the younger generation to stare in disbelief and stand with their mouths open and just waiting for the next drop of history to splat into their dry sponge like brain that their high school history teacher could not penetrate.
Al

Last edited:
and just think about of money we spend now, per pupil, vs. what was spent yesteryear. no laptops, no whiteboards, no in-city school buses. as a matter of fact, no school air conditioning in my part of south Georgia (but then air conditioning was nonexixtant virtually anywhere.. by the way, I think we lost Nikki's thread ! !

FrankB, we didn't lose (maybe Hi-Jack) Nikki's threat. That's up in the "Other" sub-Forum. That's why I put it here in "Humor, Jokes and etc.)

I almost feel sorry for young school kids today... just a few years ago my grandson was bringing his school work home on a Flash Drive. Don't know if they still even use them anymore. I see some still have back packs but I wonder what's in them. :) My book bag had hard cover school books in it... AND I had to buy them each year. Fortunately we had a family friend who had a son just a year ahead of me. But some courses I had to buy one ot two from the used book store at the school. I don't ever remember having a brand new book.

I now see long school buses with maybe 3 or 5 kids on them. (School Taxes... Hmmm. Our local Middle School and High School jambs up traffic for blocks in the morning and afternoon with parents taking and picking up their kids st school. Must be a lot of stay at home Mom's.) (?) Back in my day they did have school buses but they were private contractors. Royal's School Bus Service... I think it was $12 dollars a month. My parents told me to walk. :)

Last edited:
Al,

I love your thread.

I think I am one of those that had to walk uphill in a snowstorm both ways going to and from school;)

I went to 3 elementary schools, 1 junior high, and 3 high schools (my father was in the Air Force, so we moved a bit).

I only rode a school bus for 4 years out of 12. The other 8 years I had a mile or more walk to school.

The school I attended the longest (4 years) was in Austin Texas. It did not have air conditioning. None of us felt deprived, because no school had air conditioning back then. It was just the way it was.

Not only did we walk to school during the school year, we also walked there just about every day in the summer, because that was where the playground was.

I joined the school band in the seventh grade. If I was intelligent, I would have selected the piccolo as my instrument. Instead I picked trombone. I lugged that trombone back and forth to school on the mile walk every day (and was proud that I was a trombone player).

The only time I can remember getting a ride to school is when I broke my leg.

And backpacks...we did not have backpacks. We just carried our books in our hands (one hand for me, because the other was carrying a trombone).

Ahhh, the abusive youth I had;). But, I think it made me a better person and I did not feel at all abused at the time.

Steve

Good thread, Al. What memories it generates for all.

My father had me climb up on the roof to "fine tune" the antenna. We got two channels (CBS and ABC.) We lived in the Adirondack mountain valley so we couldn't pick up NBC. My father was a sports nut so he got the first remote control TV to come on the market as well as the first color TV.

I do remember the announcers "signing off" for the night, then the screen would turn to snow and we had to wait until the next day for TV. It's probably a good thing as we were all avid readers and got a lot of exercise. Very few people from my Village were overweight. Most people walked to stores, school, church.

Hey Kim, I remember when cable TV first came to Central West Coast of Florida. It was called Group W with a box that sat on top of the TV with a rotary knob (no remote) with numbers 1 thru 35!! Numbers 30 thru 35 were the premium channels. What a marvel!

The box was very easy to modify to get the premium channels for free... just pry the back of the box up slightly and cut a green wire with a pair of narrow nippers.

The weather channel was text only with music. The first Home Shopping Show started in Tampa, they showed just the item for sale... no person in the picture. Another marvel was to watch a TV station in Atlanta Georgia... TBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back