Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
Hi I am new here and have been reading all the posts for several months but am compelled to write to you now because I am soooooo scared I have ALS. First I want to say that all of you people are my heroes and I pray for you every night and think you are so brave and I don’t want to bother you I am just soooooo scared and I really just want to hear that I don’t have ALS.

It all started last weekend--I woke up after drinking myself into a stupor on the floor of the bathroom. My stomach hurt and my head hurt and I felt shaky all over. When I got up I couldn’t walk straight and kept bumping into things. My vision was blurry and my voice was thick sounding, and my tongue felt funny. I looked in the mirror at my tongue and it looked like it is not the same on each side. I got scared and started looking at the rest of my body. OMG! Nothing is symmetrical! I measured my thighs and I discovered that the left is 2 millimeters smaller than the right. Also, when I push my finger into my butt, there is an indent for 1.3 seconds before it goes back to normal. I think I have muscle wasting! I looked up my symptoms on the computer and ALS came up! I am just sooooo scared bc once I had a twitchy muscle in my eyelid and that is a sure sign of ALS.

Called my psychiatrist and he said to relax, but I know myself better than him so I called a neurologist and they had an opening luckily that very afternoon. I explained to the doctor what was going on and what I had learned on diagnoseyourself dot com and beyourowndoctor dot net, and he told me to relax and did a very simple exam and said I was fine. But I know better than him! I am just soooooo scared that he did not take me seriously because my eyelid was not twitching when I was there.

I have called two more neurologists and made appointments but I have to wait for a week and I think I will just die if I can’t get in sooner because I am soooooooo scared that I have ALS.

I started feeling better a few days after that, but then later I was thinking about the ALS, and I got a lump in my throat. Could that be the start of bulbar symptoms? I also noticed that when I was doing my nightly pull ups, I could only do 25, and last month I was doing 27! In fact, when I went for my run yesterday I was shaking really badly when I got back. I only ran 5 miles in 100 degree heat at noon! I am soooooo scared that I have muscle weakness!

I hope that all you brave people can help me—I am thinking that I might quit my job soon since I am sure that I have ALS. Do you think I have ALS? Do you think my symptoms sound like ALS? How long do you think I have? How EXACTLY do your symptoms match mine? What should I ask my doctor? Why is the doctor pretending I do not have ALS? What should I do now? I am soooooo scared and I only want to be healthy but this disease is so terrible and I am sure that I have it.

Signed,

a worried fan

I will pray for you. lol

Normally you should have much more anxiety pushing you toward a life ending illness! You forgot to mention that the other two neurologists also told you that you don't have ALS, but the pain your feeling means you do have it along with the facilitations....LOL

I needed a good laugh today!

many sound just like that, I often wonder if they are trying to pull our leg to waste time responding.

OMG I'm laughing so hard Barbie that is wicked!

At first I thought you had literally copied and pasted a post from the DIHALS forum because it sounded so similar :)

I hope you find a doctor who will admit you have ALS soon lovey, in the meantime keep worrying, it's all you can do huh :p

Barbie, you are too funny. I love you and your wicked humor.

It is amazing isn't it? :) If we can't laugh, we'll go crazy!

Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh Barbie :lol:

or is it that I've already gone so crazy I can laugh like mad at a joke like this?

so hard to tell ...

ahhh I'll take ignorance and believe I'm mad, that feels much better :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back