Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
ME
City
central
So at the eye doctor's today, who despite the fact that I am also a dr (only a PhD, not MD) talked to me v..e..r..y s..l..o..w..l..y, DH and thought I should print up a business card:

I am not deaf and not stupid
Even though I grin often and drool occasionally

(Roy gets credit for the second line, what a sweetheart !)

Might as well laugh--
Sue

Sue, it's amazing how people respond to a pALS, even after you've explained they are "all there." I think my husband and I have just about seen them all! I especially like:

Speaking very LOUDLY (even family members that should know better)

My favorite: Talking to or about him, but LOOKING at me! (healthcare workers, in particular)

You made me laugh! The sales clerk in Walgreens thought I was deaf so she signed to me (which I thought was nice). I have a degree in Sign Language so I signed back.
:)

LOL Susan! That's funny! I studied ASL (geeze it's hard to get myself to type that instead of ALS), but stopped just shy of getting the interpreter certification. I ran into one of my (hearing) students at Target one day and found out her younger brother who was with her is in Deaf Ed. I got all excited and started to sign to him, then realized my right hand doesn't sign anymore! Bleah! LOL At least he thought it was hilarious this lady was trying to talk to him but just waving a mostly floppy hand in the air! At least I can still finger spell with the left!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back