Diagnosis
11/2005
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
It is the one year anniversary of my most traumatic experience since my ALS diagnosis in 2005.

It occurred during the convocation ceremonies last June for my wife Richelle's graduation from Medical School at U of T. My mother joined Richelle and I for the valedictorian address. The three of us were seated in an area reserved for the elderly and handicapped. Prior to the start of the ceremonies, Richelle left us to powder her nose. Due to a shortage in seating, the usher who had seated us and one of her colleagues were doing a head count to determine the number of available seats. I saw our usher point to my mother and I, and I overheard her say: "That couple is here with their daughter who just went to the washroom." !?!?

Now, more than a couple of times people have asked if Richelle was my daughter - but to have people think that I am also my mom's husband was especially disturbing - on a number of levels.

You must have a very young looking mother!

My mom does look young for her age - but she is 32 years my senior.

At the time Richelle was 32, I was 43 and my mom 75.

Richard,

Mus sistre would get tjhat when we wuold go 2 the mall. She is 4 yrs my senior & yet wjen she wuold hold my som peoplr thouhgt she wsa my mothre! I wsa the 1 offemded bu that & wuold speak up & sau that's my sistre!

I guess so0netimes people dom't think, & what's wromg with hacing a "sugar momma"?

oooops!

I don't know what to say, now....

;) Oh Richard, that just means you have a young looking Mom and a young looking Wife is all. I can see where your feelings might be a little bruised though.

I feel your pain Richard. Last summer my girlfriend and I were running my dog down our road - she on her bike and I on my scooter. On the return trip she was about 2-300 yards ahead and out of sight. Chewie and I stopped to chat with a neighbour. She said she had just talked with my daughter!

ooohhh richard,thats definatley a dint in the old ego.............do you want me to rub it better:?::!::wink:

I think there are simply some utterly clueless people around (OK, I KNOW it!) expressly regarding telling the age of people. Years ago, in my late twenties, a friend's neighbor--a youngish boy--asked if I was my friend's mother. She is a year younger than I.

Fast forward now to my forties. Twice, having lunch with another friend--who was drop dead gorgeous, but dressed in a suit for work while I was in chinos and sandals--we were asked by the server if she was my mother. She is also a year younger than I...and has called ME "Mom" ever since, lol. She swore it didn't upset her, but why did she begin calling me Mom. I gave the servers great tips.

Just enjoy your wife. ;-) I've seen her in your album, and she's beautiful.

I feel your pain Richard. Last summer my girlfriend and I were running my dog down our road - she on her bike and I on my scooter. On the return trip she was about 2-300 yards ahead and out of sight. Chewie and I stopped to chat with a neighbour. She said she had just talked with my daughter!

But John - in your case it is understandable ;)

And Caroline and Ann - actually the big joke is on my wife - after all she married me! Sucker! :)

But John - in your case it is understandable...
I suppose. BTW, why do you have a picture of your grandfather in your avatar?

i really like you john:wink::D

Caroline, what a sweet thing to say. I really like you too.

Doesn't anyone like me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back