Hard to believe facts (and other interesting things) about PEG tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_W

Diagnosis
10/2007
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Canal Winchester
In case you missed my earlier post, all went reasonably well at the hospital and I now have a strange new appendage protruding from my belly that vaguely reminds me of a scene from the movie, "Alien."

I’m still a bit ambivalent about my PEG tube, but I’m getting used to this new normal that so many of you experience every day. Oh joy! So, without further ado, here are some

Hard to believe facts about PEG tubes.

……………………………………………………..
PEG is an acronym for “percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy.” Using an online medical dictionary, even a novice can quickly deduce that this seemingly complex medical term simply means a qualified surgeon or your local Veterinarian (see below) administers, removes, or absorbs by way of the skin, as an injection, needle biopsy, or transdermal drug using an illuminated usually fiber-optic flexible or rigid tubular instrument for visualizing the interior of a hollow organ or part (as the bladder or esophagus) for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes that typically has one or more channels to enable passage of instruments (as forceps or scissors) to surgically construct a permanent opening from the external surface of the abdominal wall into the stomach, usually for inserting a feeding tube.

Now you know. Isn’t the internet cool!

……………………………………………………..
PEG tube surgery is often done on an out-patient basis without general anesthesia. Here’s a video of a typical out-patient procedure. Notice how it was conveniently scheduled during the patient’s lunch break.
YouTube - Alien - Chestburster Scene

……………………………………………………..
Cats can get PEG tubes too! If I’d only known this earlier, I could have saved a bundle of cash by just having my vet pop mine in!
Luckie Kitty's Tail - Life and Loss with Feline Chronic Renal Failure

……………………………………………………..
The letters in “percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube,” can be rearranged to spell:
“My tube feed makes me gassy and turns my poo tan!”

Spelled backwards, “e’ buty-mot sorts a’ gcipoc sod nes uo-e’natu crep,” is perfect Portugese for:
“My tube feed gives me gassy and makes un-natural my crap!”

Hmmmm … strange coincidence … or is it?

……………………………………………………..
The PEG Tube Song
(Sung to the tune of “Peggy Sue,” with sincere apologies to the late, great Buddy Holly.)

If you knew Peggy Tube
Then you'd know why I feel blue
About Peggy, 'bout Peggy Tube
Oh well, I need you, gal
Yes, I need you Peggy Tube

Peggy Tube, Peggy Tube
icky, icky, icky, icky, Peggy Tube
Oh, my Peggy, my Peggy Tube
Don’t really like you gal
But I need you, Peggy Tube

Don’t like you Peggy Tube
With a dislike so rare and true
Oh, Peggy, my Peggy Tube
Oh, well, I need you gal
So I can feed, Peggy Tube

Peggy Tube, Peggy Tube
Oh my belly bloats with you
Oh, Pa-he-ggy, my Pa-he-ggy Tube
Oh, well, I need you gal
Yes I need you, Peggy Tube
Don’t really like you gal
But I need you, Peggy Tube

……………………………………………………..
And in case you missed it earlier, here’s

A short poem about
percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tubing.

A surgeon knocked me out and stuck a PEG-tube into me.
I really do not like it much and this is why you see,
eating used to be a treat, but now it will not be.
A syringe full of Isosource just ain’t my cup of tea!

Brought to you as a public service by

David, you
a) are a genius
b) have way too much time on your hands (like all of us here)
c) are a welcome addition to the forum
d) keep on writing!

David, I admire the way your mind works... especially in Portuguese, or regarding alternative medical professions, in poetry... and in ambivalent situations. You are very funny. As Barry said, "keep on writing!"

LOL you have a super sense of humor <<<<<<<<hugs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hahaha made me smile:)

Thanks for the laugh!

David you are such a talent. I always enjoy reading what you have to say. Thanks for putting your life story out there for us to marvel at! Keep up the good work!

Thank you all so much for the laughter and kind words. I don't know about the genius thing, Barry, but you're spot-on about having too much time on my hands! ;)

Thank you all so much for the laughter and kind words. I don't know about the genius thing, Barry, but you're spot-on about having too much time on my hands! ;)

Great! Thanks David!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back