Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Podunk
Alrighty, ladies (and gents, if you're not bald and enjoy a good beauty regimen)...

This affliction of ours is really tough on one's vanity. So I thought maybe we could share some tricks and tips and buoy each other up when we go through changes. I'm not much for makeup, but I know most ladies are, so by all means, share! Personal hygiene ideas are also appreciated!

Tuesday evening, I cut 8 inches off my hair. I went from waist-length to shoulder-blade length... I'm having to hype myself up for the fact that as time goes by, I will have to go shorter and shorter, and I hate short hair. I had it cut straight across, because that's what I always did with my waist-length hair, but I'm wondering if I should have done layers. Any opinions?

Here are some photos from my haircut... my friend Kellie had to stand on a chair to comb and part my hair... it was hilarious! We did it in my Aunt Kathy's kitchen (I stay with her and my Uncle Bo in New Braunfels when I go to San Antonio for clinic). The second is my new do... thinking I need to do something else with it.... we'll see what y'all think!

haircutprogress.jpg

newhaircut.jpg

Oh Sarah! I'm so sorry that you had to cut your hair! I wore mine long for so many years but recently had mine cut to chin length. It takes a bit of time to get used to the change but it's a heck of a lot easier for me to wash now that my R shoulder and wrist are getting wonky. Easier to brush too!
I always preffered having a friend or one of my girls cut mine too!

I think the new do looks grand!

Love your new hair cut Sarah! My hair is shoulder length and one of my friends french braids and one puts poney tails in for me.

Judy

I think it is just great the way you have it now. I had just done the same with mine that was waist length. I now wear a side braid as I cant put in ponytail anymore. I am sure I will have to go shorter for practical purposes but I am with you I hate short hair (on me!)

Thanks Deb, Judy, and Di! I have to say, it is MUCH easier to brush and wash! My right arm is all wonky too.

I used to wear one long braid or two braids like a farm girl... I'll miss doing that. Here's what it used to look like (this was Valentine's a couple of years ago with my best buds... right around the time symptoms started):

DSCN3431.jpg

Oh and I thought it was going to be a beauty shop for gossip. And I had my hair color, nail polish all ready to go.

A little

Snip, snip here
Snip, snip there.

Sarah, the hair looks great! And I don't think you could get a bigger smile! It made me melt seeing your happiness.

I used to wear short hair permed,blah, blah, blah. But as I got older, and my face THICKENED, OMG, yes! I started with the longer hair. But alas, I, as many others, can no longer manage my upkeep. (That's an understatement!)

But anyway, are y'all still coloring your hair? Sarah,I know your still young yet so this is for future references, I guess. I remember Deb saying her friend was blending her back to natural, Martas stylist has left her to move, what do others do? My hair was red, then mousey brown, and now mousey brown and white. I have been dying it blonde, which lasts longer, but I'm unsure. I do have a Southpaw hubby who has mastered the ponytail. He's so funny the pride he takes in doing it. H is coming tomorrow with the polish to cut and file my nails. I'm a nail biter, or was. You should see the claws I can grow! She will be cutting an inch or more off of them.

Thanks, Sarah. I feel like I'm sitting next to you waiting and choosing the hair style.
B T W, this is a free service, right? Because it seems I left my wallet somewhere.

Love your new " do"
Personally I really don't like very long hair, so I am biased! Love love love the new look. You can always have it layered a little next time.

Toto, I have just taken to using nail polish for the first time in my life. I never had any nails due to biting them, but after the lip operation I never bite them anymore cause it feels awful. Love having nails and changing the color.

I love the new 'do' as well. Have been wondering what I'll start doing with mine. Have cut it to 'just hit the shoulder' length and, as it has natural curl, it seems to be working. I say wait to layer yours - it's probably 'less work' to style having it one length - when you put layers in, it gets harder to ponytail it or braid it (pieces falling out and poking out everywhere :). I have bangs and it's going to be a hassle - wish it was all one length, but SUCH a hassle growing it out.

I love it too Sarah! It makes you look younger! Gorgeouser too!

Yes, my stylist is moving out of state but she is referring me to someone she trusts. Time will tell if I like the new one or not. As for coloring my hair, my husband does my roots! He finally got the hang of it!

For makeup, I have brows, lips, eye liner and eye shadow tattoos since my sister does permanent makeup and most likely can't stand the thought of me without makeup. She did a really good job I think!

Regarding styling, my hair is short and I love it that way for me. Some days it looks good and some days are bad. My hands are pretty shot so drying with a blow dryer it is a trick. I never know how it's going to turn out. I just brush it all forward and blow it from the back forward. My cow lick drives me nuts.

Toto, girl, you KNOWS we gots to gossip in here! It ain't full service if the tongues ain't waggin'!

Thanks Toto, Aly, Mich, and Marta! I think y'all are right and I should layer later. We'll just see how it goes for now.

Marta, is gorgeouser gonna be one of those $5 words? I like it! As for the hairdryer, I prop my butt up against one wall, lean my head over, prop the dryer on the counter in my gimpy right hand, and comb with the left. It works for now. But really, most of the time I air dry. Using the hair dryer is over-rated. ;)

I like to amend or make up words. It's fun! My balance is nil so I sit on my rollator and stretch my fingers out well so that they'll wrap around the handle and just blow and occasionally brush it out. I try but sometimes not successfully.

Sarah, forgot to say that I vote for waiting on the layers, you can always do it later. You hair looks really thick with lots of body? Layers would prob be super on you. Mich is absolutely correct in her assessment of the problems with layers, braids and ponytails.. I have really fine straight hair so was never satisfied when I tried them . A straight blunt cut or bob seems to best for me.
I LOVE French braids! Never learned to do it for myself but got a book and taught the girls. The baby spent many a gym class braiding hair for classmates while they waited for their turn.

Kk is blow drying mine for me now. I'm just too pooped after showering and getting dressed. I can do it in a pinch , but it's just dry, not styled.
Ack! Hair color! I went to a professionall colorist for the first time in Jan. kk had been taking me to lighter and lighter shades of brown at home but I hated it! I've been back a second time and has done a nice job but it's too gold to suit me. Seemed like we were headed in the right direction but tonight kk tells me she thinks the roots are getting DARKER!
They were literally WHITE especially around my face. I'm thinking that coming off of the IV Ceftriaxone is having an effect!
I was thinking about bright silver chunks, but suppose the maintenance would be way too high.

Love Martas's makeup tattoos! I rarely wear it anymore. SE GA always seems to cause a "melt off" with many months of heat and high humidity,

H is coming tomorrow for color. Yes, she can french braid. My hair is wild. Flat no body on top, but under that thin layer are ringlets galore.

Don't be deceived by the pictures... my hair is very fine and thinning more by the day. In fact, it's falling out in handfulls! I asked the neuro if the meds could be causing it, but she said no, must be stress! I think it might just be the heat. I'm not tolerating it well at all. Anyways, the falling out thing was the main reason I cut it... hoping to slow it down or I'm going to be bald in a couple of months!

I love french braids too... never could learn to do it, but it gives me such a headache the last few years that I doubt I'd ever bother to have it done again.

I've never ever colored my hair. It looks dark brown in photos, but when you see it in person in the sun, it's got loads of red and blond highlights! People always ask me who colors my hair... I tell them the guy upstairs at Heavenly Hair and enjoy their perplexed looks and have a hard time not laughing when they say, "Oh yeah, I've never been to that place but heard they're good."

I think makeup tatoos are a GREAT idea. I quit wearing makeup when I started teaching... I always danced so much I would sweat it off before the first class was over, so it just wasn't worth it. Lipstick was never an option when teaching band... it messes up the instruments and reeds. Anyways, after spending 4 years of high school wearing stage makeup almost every day for either a show choir or twirling performance, it was nice to let my face breathe!

I've always had fine hair. It drives me nuts. I love your hair Sarah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back