Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
KY
City
Stanford
:?:My mother is scheduled to get her feeding tube this coming Thursday. Can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect?

Hi Kylisa. If you scroll to the bottom of this page there are links to other PEG tube questions and answers.

AL.

Thanks Al,
My PALS gets his tube August 22.
Lee

Another experience and a warning

Don't mean to scare you, but my experience was not pleasant. Here is what I posted about a month ago:

Everything we read made it sound so easy. But during the first day there were 3 episodes of severe pain, trembling, sweats, and lightheadedness that lasted about 10 minutes.

Not wanting to spend a restless night, we went to our local ER where the doctor agreed with us that spasms caused by the ALS needed something stronger than the Tylenol the surgeon thought would be sufficient. The ER doctor prescribed 3 days of Valium, which did the trick. Lesson: have something on hand as a muscle relaxant.

As the weeks went by, the tenderness slowly diminished. Now, after about two months, I hardly notice it, though occasionally there might be some discomfort if the tube gets bumped or pushed. Good Luck! :)

My experience getting a PEG was a walk in the park. I have had it for over a year and have had no issues at all. The whole procedure took about five minutes and there was no pain. Don't be nervous as it will hopefully be an easy procedure like mine. Good Luck!

It helps if you get the PEG installed by a Doc that has some experience in ALS related cases. All surgeons are not created equal. I found out the hard way.

AL

not bad

:?:My mother is scheduled to get her feeding tube this coming Thursday. Can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect?

Got my tube a year ago and it was painful after the great drugs wore off. But once i got tylenol in suppository form ( I never thought I would cheer for a suppository) the pain started to go down and thanks to a great home med nurse who the clinic I am with stopped by daily for a week to train me in the use of the tube. After that I managed quite well. The pain was more from moving stuff around to get to the stomach more than the surgery itself I believe.

After 6 months with the first peg I had a button put in, which resembles the thingy you blow into on an air mattress. Things have been going well as long as I faithfully keep things very clean around the site. A fully liquid diet does mess with your bowels so I keep a pitcher of water with 1/4 cup of benefiber, and make sure I injest every drop daily. Eventually, when your mom experiences cramps replace half the water with Tonic with Quinine which will make those less severe to non existent.

I take in all my formula over night and take in water (about 16 ounces) every two hours during the day. I use Hydra tape to wrap the connection between the tube from the bag with end of the tube it fits into to help prevent accidents. My stepdaughter gave me a wonderful waterproof fitted sheet incase I do have a leak. That has saved my mattress on more than one occasion.

Hope this helped. Good luck to you and your Mom............Maggie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back