Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Arkansas
City
Centerton
My mom was diagnosed with ALS in February of this year. She has progressed very quickly with no movement left except neck and facial muscles. Her speech is just about gone and breathing is not the best. She is finally getting a feeding tube in the morning (later than we all would have wanted), but my dad is concerned about transferring her after it is in place. He uses a transfer belt around her middle to move her from chair to bed to toilet, etc. He is concerned that with the feeding tube in place, it will interfere with the use of the transfer belt. He cannot pick her up alone without it. She doesn't weight more than 125 lbs., but she is dead weight that cannot help in anyway.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi nwafriend. My wife has recently had to start moving me with a Hoyer lift. The sling probably wouldn't affect the tube. We got ours on loan from ALS Ont. You could check with ALSA/MDA to see about one. Your mom's Occupational Therapist could help your dad to see if there is room to use it and train him to use it.
AL.

I was worried about the very same thing before Linda had her feeding tube placed.

I didn't use a belt when I transferred her I just lifted her by putting her arms over my shoulders and around my neck then I'd lift her to a standing position holding all her weight against my body by leaning back a bit. After the initial healing period we never had a problem. Linda weighed only 90 pounds and thankfully I am/was physically strong. Towards the end, I did use one of those belts to help protect my back.

The tricky part was holding her up with one arm while I used the other arm/hand to pull down her pants to get her ready for the toilet.

Wishing you the best.
Jeanne

NWA help

Hello,

Sorry about your mom and this journey you are both on. Are you a memeber of the support group in Arkansas? We meet usually the third Monday of the month, and they are a great and informative group. If you wish, e-mail me and I can connect you to them.

Betweeen this forum and our local support group, We received so much information, support, and freindship while we went through my mothers journey with ALS.

I am not sure if I have to list me e-mail here, or if you can connect to me through this post, but I will check in and see.

Thanks and good luck.
Bellard

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for much for the advice. The feeding tube procedure went well. My dad seemed to do ok moving her last night without any major problems.
We do have a hoyer lift at the house already, but the tech that came out to teach my dad how to use it told him that she would need to stabilize herself by holding the center of the lift while he was moving her across the room. He said that this would keep her from swinging out of control while pushing the lift across the thick carpet. My mom cannot even lift a hand out of her lap, so the tech said that it would probably take two people to move her even with the lift. Does this make sense to anyone or not? I am so new to all of this equipment.
She also had to have shoulder surgery less than two months ago for frozen shoulder and a torn rotator cuff. She stayed in pain 24/7 without the surgery, but now that the surgery has been done the arm cannot be moved without her crying in pain. This also makes easy moving very difficult.

Thanks again for the advice!

bellard, my parents did attend a local meeting at the jones center earlier this year. They have also worked with the NWA ALSA. Thanks so much for asking.

nwafriend,

My sister had a PEG tube put in last fall and was using what we called a "Barbie stand" for transfers. She needed to use her arms for that one as well, but here's my point...the belt for the stand fastened around her chest (right under her bra) and it didn't hurt the tube at all. Your dad could try the transfer belt up a bit higher if that will work with your mom's body type and with the leverage your dad needs. I'd also ask your physical (or occupational) therapist first just to make sure. Hopefully you find something that works!

Marcia

Hi nwafriend. What you say does make some sense but I wonder about the swinging around. My lift is fairly new and I don't move in it at all. My wife has to really push me to swing me around. I do weigh around 200 lb. though. I can understand the problem moving on the carpet. Is there any way you can get the carpet and underpad taken up and stored until they don't need it anymore? There is probably plywood under it and it would be easier to move around on. Not good for bare feet but it might work.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back