Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
New York
City
Fishkill
Has anyone experienced occassional blood around the peg tube area? Mom gets it and it smells really bad.

My MIL gets that alot. It isn't very much but enough. She was just at the doctors last week for it because it was sore. He said it was normal and just to keep it cleaned out with proxide and put some Neospoine(?spelling) around it daily. I don't believe hers has a smell to though. Hope this helps. Josie

I get that once in awhile but it does not smell. I think it happens when it gets pulled because of being caught in clothing, etc. We just clean the site with a saline solution and the next day it is fine.

Laura

Clean the site 2x a day with peroxide and put a gauze pad cut in the middle around the tube. It will absorb any gunk that comes out of the site. Bleeding is common if the tube gets pulled or irritated but it must stay clean to avoid infection.
Judy

I get that once in a while also. Usually from pulling it to hard with a shirt or sleeping on the tube. I had to stay away from the gauze's, as I found them to encourage the gunk in the site. If does have some blood , I will put some triple action polysporin around the hole.

I just use soap and water to clean it up twice daily.

Dont forget to turn it every day.

Glen

Thank you everyone!

You know, I read your thread earlier today and thought, okay I will keep that in mind if it happens to my dad. But after reading it and the others who posted after that, one thing bothers me. The smell. The others dont have that. I had a wound a long time ago and just treated with only hydrogen peroxide and it just got worse. I would defiantly do the hydrogen peroxide to clean it out and then use the neosporin. That stuff works wonders. If it does not start showing signs of improvement within 24 to 48 hours, because of the smell, I would suspect there may be an infection and would get the PALS to the doctor asap. Just my 2 cents worth of worrying.
Hugs, Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back