Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
OK...the tube has an "inflation port." Now I'm wondering why. I thought the first tube, according to to literature they gave us, would be a bumper type. Anyway, the balloon inflation port is now filled with gunk from the stomach, as the clamp came undone and he didn't let me know.

Anyone have experience with this and can you tell me how to clean it out?

ours got gunk in it too...i just flushed the tube out then squeezed the port several times then flushed then squeezed etc..........

not fast or fun but it worked. "men'.....

Thank you Cris. The hand out I got says not to put anything in the inflation port. I'm thinking maybe this is just a Y medication port now. I'll have to put my glasses on and look closer when he finally "allows" me to.

Oh - and another dumb question:

What about the formula? When the doc writes the script for the Jevity or whatever, is it not for more that one month at a time? We still have plenty, but I would have thought a new delivery would have been sent, as it has been a month now.

Thanks!

Greg's gets gross but I do as Cris does. For Jevity, I have to have the local pharmacy order it for us. Hubs actually likes Boost better and I can get that at WalMart.

I hope all is well. I've been thinking of you.

CJ..Our med supply will send it out every month, but I have to call..Yes it's more than we need right now, but I'm stock piling it. It has a good shelf life. I just went through our calendar and marked the day I need to order the caths and food every month. Then when I look at the calandar I have a reminder. I marked the whole year.

Gollly! How would we know all this? I Called the company we are getting the formula from and they said to call when we are down to about a case. Formula is not returnable, so that is why they wait for a refill call.

He's done for the day, so will try Coke (thanks to Georgia) or something to clean it all out.

one piece of advice we got (and seems to work) is to fill the PEG tube with Coca-Cola and let it sit there for a minute and then flush it through. Canned coke works the best (over fountain drink). The other thing i do is roll the tube in my fingers to loosen the "stuff" up.

Good Luck

I use tonic water with quinine it is fizzy cleans out the tube and the quinine helps with leg cramps and it is not sticky.
My jevity and osmolite come from Walgreen RX pharmacy, we call and order when we are low.
When I do feedings I do 2 syringe of formula then 1/2 water to keep the the tube from coating.
When I am done 2 syringes of water. Before bed 2 syringes of tonic water

Another reason for calling might be what if you need to change types. They would be sending the last one maybe the day you were going to change. If you can't return it then you couldn't trade it either and I wonder if insurance would supply both. (Not there yet so don't know) thinking like kids and formula changes.

my wifes tube has an inflation port that can be flushed out and is removeable just be sure if you have this type to clamp the main tube before removing it. You could also try soaking that valve in coca cola the carbonated aspect of it can have a cleansing effect on the internal wall of the tube. I hope this was of some help. Good Luck

You might also try a little hot water and let it sit in the tube....or use it to flush with. I've tried coke with minimal success. Have found the hot water works better. The stuff in the tube gets hard and the hot water softens it up. Now when I say hot water, I fill a 300cc bottle with water and nuke it for 1 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back