Diagnosis
09/2007
Country
US
State
WI
City
Madison
A promising research news, maybe we will see a therapy soon.

A study published in the Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine shows that CD4+ T cells, which grow and mature in the thymus before entering the bloodstream, are reduced in number in patients who have ALS as the thymus shrinks and malfunctions. Theoretically, devising therapies to support or replace these cells could be a strategy in treating the disease.

Link

A promising research news, maybe we will see a therapy soon.

Link

Thanks for the info, Nishant. Even before this new study came out, the evidence seems to be accruing that the immune system plays a much bigger role in ALS than previously thought.

What is the Thymus? Thank you for the link, any positivw feedback is welcome.

What is the Thymus? Thank you for the link, any positivw feedback is welcome.

Hi Blackpool,

The thymus is a gland/organ located just behind the sternum. It reaches full maturity during puberty and gradually decreases in size therafter. It plays a vital role in production of T lymphcytes and in autoimmunity protection. In ALS patients, both the thymus and t cell count seems to be smaller/lower than in healthy people. This seems to indicate that the immune system plays a major role in ALS development and progression. This discovery may be of major signficance, further studies will be warranted.

Mike

Thank you Nishant for sharing this info. Thanks Mike for providing the link.

Wow, that is fascinating. Tumors on the thymus gland are known to be one cause of MG, which is an auto-immune disease. Would this be in the same category? Auto-immune, i.e., the body attacking itself.

The report says that transplanting the thymus may be a treatment. I will volunteer to be the first guinea pig on that. But if you transplant another person's immune system to your body, wouldn't that kind of mess up the rest of your own body?

Thank you very much for posting that.

You know Beth when I first read this when it was published, you were the first person who came to my mind. Bless your heart. I thought that you had been through that MG road, and that you would be just the kind of person who would say pick me, you are such a sweet-heart. I often tell your story and you inspire so many. Wow so many hopeful things on the horizon.

Wow, that is fascinating. Tumors on the thymus gland are known to be one cause of MG, which is an auto-immune disease. Would this be in the same category? Auto-immune, i.e., the body attacking itself.

The report says that transplanting the thymus may be a treatment. I will volunteer to be the first guinea pig on that. But if you transplant another person's immune system to your body, wouldn't that kind of mess up the rest of your own body?

Thank you very much for posting that.

That's a good question, Beth. I have no idea. There is a thread with the same title as this one over at ALS TDI, where there is more in-depth discussion of the subject taking place. Some over there are suggesting taking animal thymus extract, and I am considering it. However, a person has to be weary of that in terms of potential contamination. I read about some people coming down with the human form of mad cow disease in England after taking such supplements. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back