Diagnosis
05/2008
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Angeles
This is about Parkinson's not ALS, but this is a very provocative research result. And Parkinson complex is sometimes linked to ALS (as in the Guam population.) I think when one solid clue is discovered in any of these neuro diseases, the dominos are going to start falling for all of them.

An article was posted April 20, 2009 (hot off the presses) based on a UCLA research project on pesticides. The research showed that two specific pesticides (used in arial drops on agricultural fields) were linked to a significant increase in Parkinson's in neighboring residents. Each of the two pesticides increased the risk, and both together raised the risk even more. These are significant increases ... up to double the normal risk.

It was a brillant (I think) piece of research. All chemical drops in California have to be recorded with the state. The researchers simply took the record of the chemical drops in certain areas of the central valley and compared them with the incidence of PD in neighboring areas (adjacent to the treated fields) and with the incidence of PD cases farther away.

Seems to me this exact same research plan could be carried out with ALS without a whole lot of sweat. The record of chemical drops exists; all that's needed is a record of the number of ALS patients. Does that information exist already or do we have to wait for the registry? I wonder if ALSA keeps any kind of records of ALS patients.

The link to the story on the Parkinson's Association Website is:
http://www.pdf.org/en/science_news/release/pr_1240261588

Speechless in L.A.

I think when one solid clue is discovered in any of these neuro diseases, the dominos are going to start falling for all of them.
Speechless in L.A.

exactly. . . great point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back