Reason
Other
Country
US
State
TX
City
Fort Worth
I've been in touch with a group of doctors who run a clinic in the Bahamas that supposedly have had success treating ALS patients using Ozone therapy and snake venom. I'd move heaven and earth to get my mom down there if I knew that it could actually halt or reverse anything, but I've asked them if I could speak with any of those ALS patients that have been treated first, and am waiting to see if I hear from them.

In the meantime, does anyone here have any experience with either of these therapies with ALS, or have any info about it? Thanks.

Excess ozone can be toxic to humans. Snake oil salesmen are still thought of as crooks because most are. Rattlesnake venom and bee stings were investigated by researchers in the southern US years ago. Their research found no lasting or worthwhile benefit. Save your money and take your mom on a trip somewhere else. By the way, if someone paid me $500 or $1000 to lie to you over the phone and tell you that they cured me I'd have to think real hard about whether I'd do it. I wouldn't but I hope you get my point.

AL.

You can't be serious. Let's think about this for a few minutes. One of the suspected mechanisms of ALS is oxidative stress. Ozone promotes oxidative stress. Snake venom is well venom. Depending on type it breaks down blood, attacks the nervous system (ALS does that well enough already) or breaks down tissue.

I'm sorry for being so blunt. I understand you want to help her but use your head.

I've asked them if I could speak with any of those ALS patients that have been treated first, and am waiting to see if I hear from them.

You were smart to ask. But just beware that anybody can post as a "cured" patient.

Sorry if my question seems ignorant, or that I'm not "using my head", but that's because I'm completely lost, scared and desperate to help my mom, and all of this has come on very fast with her ALS, and I know very little about what works or doesn't work. She is going south very quickly, she's almost completely lost her speech, has said she doesn't want a feeding tube or ventilator, and seems to be quickly losing the will to live. In her current condition, she'll probably give up and be gone within weeks, if not months, and I don't know how to deal with that.

So if there's even a chance that something out of the norm or experimental could help her, I'd want to find out about it. Which is why I asked here.

Good that you asked here. There are others that would want to sell you supplements and swear on their mothers grave that they work. I am really sorry to say that as of today, Rilutek is the only thing that has been shown to help and is is only 3 months to maybe a year depending which study you read. The earlier you are on it the better as well. There are some trials starting with Lithium carbonate. An Italian study found some good results. Use the search feature or look in our research forum. Hope this helps.

AL.

Yes, my mom has been on the Lithium Carbonate, as well as Actos, and IV Glutathione (super anti-oxidant) for a few months. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have helped much if at all.

Sorry to hear that. Take care.

AL.

You will often find that some of our answers and suggestions are short and at times seem hurtful. Please understand that, especially if this is new to you, we are only trying to enforce to everyone that "There is no cure at present". I was like yourself 3 years ago, every quackey thing that I saw I wanted to try and thanks to the folks on this forum I have kept my money for the more important things that are now required. Stay strong! Stay positive!
Mark

Zach,
I understand completely how you feel. I too would go to the moon and back by flapping my own arms if I thought there was a cure there. Alas, there is nothing that cures ALS, the best we can hope for is a slowing of progression. The jury is still out on Lithium, Rilutek questionable, at best, and the latest trial studies of IGF are expected to show failure (the treatment group was dosed at standard pediatric dosing, for adults, no wonder it failed). On that note, I will tell you that I have Jim on high dose IGF (Insulin like growth factor) and while we haven't seen his symptoms stop, we have certainly seen a slowing of progression. However, the is extensive research and data to validate the use of IGF in ALS, alas, ozone therapy, snake venom, bee stings, hyperbaric therapy, off shore stem cells, and all of the other high priced scams out there are just that - or at least they appear.
I would encourage you to diligently read, do your homework, and if something feels right to you, try it. I know one thing, I don't want to come to the end of the road with this and feel like I didn't try everything that I possibly could to help save Jim's life. Some of what we have tried has seemed to even be detrimental, (IVIG being the most detrimental of what we have tried thus far) but neither of us regrets trying.... the only failure is failing to try. Just please, do your homework, the internet is a wonderful resource of research, ....
Andrea - wife of Pals Jim

we are not all alike

Understand that we all deal with news of a terminal disease in different ways. Some of us immediately panic and run for help. There is nothing wrong with any reaction unless you are going too far with it.... like throwing away large $. Pause and give your decisions thought. What will this cost in purchasing, travel, side effects, proven improvements etc. I think the best action to take is not to take any for a while. Think about your diagnosis, research the facts, study the disease and what is expected to happen.... and prepare yourself to deal with each additional problem as it arises. You would be surprised what you can do when you have no choice. Line up people who can be your helpers when help is needed, talk to your significant other about every thought and fear.... and live this journey together in such a way that maintains dignity, support, and most of all affection. You can't know for sure, of a deadline when you will pass. ALS doctors can't give an expiration date... just guesses. Try to settle your mind and heart down as best as you can, and as soon as you can.... and then concentrate on each day one day at a time. Find out what is out there to really help, like mechanical supports and people.... rather than a cure. Decide whether or not you could eventually handle a peg/ vent down the road. Ask around for someone who wants to give light nursing care for you if you can't do those things, and find out about homecare providers and that cost. Save your money for later needs. Of course we have hope for a cure, but accept that right now there isn't one..... and you could go on for a long time being pretty normal. I am sorry that your mother is progressing so fast. Try to show her all the ways you can demonstrate your love. That is what she needs most now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back