Diagnosis
08/2016
Country
SP
State
Malaga
City
Periana
New research just published, led by a team at Trinity College Dublin, has found a clear genetic link between ALS and schizophrenia.
The research was partly prompted by earlier studies in 2013 which found that ALS sufferers were more likely to have lost family members to suicide, or to have family diagnosed with schizophrenia.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170324104852.htm

My family had no history of schizophrenia but my mother and her four siblings all had bi-polar disorder. Two of them committed suicide and two were institutionalized. My mother went untreated and got much better post-menopause.

Steves family has depression and anxiety to be sure. One distant cousin is a schizophrenic

My sister committed suicide after a lifetime of mental illness. One of her diagnoses at one time was schizophrenia.
Like myself, she shared the same father (but different mother) from my brother who has MND.

No mental illness in my PALS family I don't think but his cousin was an alcoholic and committed suicide. My PALS was very close to his cousin and still struggles with it.

Interesting...my brother is schizophrenic.

I am waiting to hear on a link between Altzhiemers and ALS, I do wonder about it. Brian's dad had that.

AS to the mental illness part, I would really need to see a ton more research/studies on that to be a big believer. For one thing, mental illness is FAR more common than we were led to believe for so long. Unless you have a really unusual history (several generations or first degree relatives) I think putting the two together without known causation would be difficult at best.

My mothers half brother killed himself ( no lie) on new years day by driving out onto a Mesa in Arizona and setting off two sticks of dynamite in his lap.

The links between schizophrenia, Alzheimer's, ALS and Parkinson's have been explored for decades from the biological point of view, not just epidemiology. Clearly there are some, but this goes back to living as healthfully as possible throughout the lifespan to try to protect the brain, whatever the [to a large extent unknowable as yet] genetic risks.

From puzzles to walking to eating unprocessed foods, the brain needs to be well-nourished to fend off disease. There is also data suggesting that being fit before stroke attenuates the damage caused, as an example.

i am quite sure living healthily is a good idea for everybody, regardless of whether they have ALS, but in the course of online research I have repeatedly come across at least anecdotal evidence that many PALS prior to diagnosis were notably slim, fit, active people - indeed, lots of athletes seem to get it. Certainly my brother, age only 40, fits this profile - walking and cycling everywhere, eating organic, no drugs, very slim and active.

It's hard not to speculate about causes, when someone so young and fit gets this terrible disease. The flags for me re my brothers case are the suicide/schizophrenia link and the exposure to toxic chemicals (photography). I have another friend with ALS, an artist who painted with oils - more chemicals. I don't know if this is significant, but judging from the military vets insurance status in the US I assume chemical exposure may be a possible factor.

Re the new research on schizophrenia and ALS, one hopes that establishing this genetic link might open the way for fresh approaches to treatment and diagnosis, which would surely be a good thing.

I believe it is most definitely true for my genetic defect ( C9orf72). It is known to manifest as ALS, FTD, PSP, LBD and psychosis. I expect they will continue to find other links.

When my mother, who had dementia first, went for neuropsych testing there was a long questionnaire about family. Schizophrenia was one of the questions.

There is still much to be learned in the genetics of neurological disease

Yes, the epi studies that are being conducted through the CDC ALS Registry and other databases around the world ask a number of questions around chemical exposure. Electricity in one form or the other is also being explored.

My Brian is the same as your brother Harley, slim, fit, organic food. It is hard not to think with some bitterness on his talk of "known carcinogens" in food and eating " nutritional components". Nice work guy but bodies are funny unpredictable things and for all that still no tenth anniversary for us I guess.

I know fitness and ALS is being explored as well.

Brian did have at least two significant h ad injuries in his youth, and that connection with ALS is nearly established.

Sorry Lenore, it is awful and I understand your bitterness.
I have even read that there was some kind of link between a very high BMI (verging on obesity levels) and longer life for post-diagnosis PALS, but I am not sure if that was more about keeping the weight on in the face of progression, which of course impacts on appetite and swallowing, and with PEG tubes etc it's very difficult.
But the idea that being seriously overweight might make ALS less likely, if true, flies in the face of all the standard health advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back