Cholesterol

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to be the original study Defective cholesterol metabolism in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis

I would not go out and ask for a prescription for cholesterol medication based on this. In the past there has been some indication high cholesterol levels could be helpful and or statins may be bad for PALS ( they noted this in the study write up. Neither is considered proved but if you read the study it seems a little more complicated than simply lowering levels found on the usual tests. Until they do more work you don't know what might happen

When I was first diagnosed the first thing the nerol. did was take me off prescription crestor that was about three years ago. Both him and my GP agreed on that directive. Both said being diagnosed with ALS I was better off with high cholesterol and it better suited the program I was put on.

I found out I have very high cholesterol this year. Because of my age and prior physical fitness I had never been tested before. One doctor wished to put me on cholesterol lowering drugs, while another told me no reason for that because my bp is so low. I'm happy to not have to keep track of one more pill.

I've read that cholesterol is neuroprotective. I've also read that statins can cause their own neurological issues in some cases. As high cholesterol is likely not what's going to finish me off, I am not prepared to take a risk.

I think the above posted research is important. It's exciting that researchers are making connections and new discoveries to build further research onto MND. But, as others have stated, it's too early to start making adjustments based on it.

This is definitely a wait and see issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back