Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
A study suggests that eating fruits & veggies may help in early ALS.

I skimmed through, but how much of this could be accounted for by individuals who simply had better eating habits before diagnosis and therefore had slower/milder progression vs those with previously unhealthy diets

That's one of the reasons for saying "may." Still, the fact that most diseases respond to pretty much anything you try early on better than later is reason to say that getting your dietary act together if you ate chips all day could still have a positive impact. After all, we know that metabolism is affected and more processed foods are simply harder for the body to digest.

That was also my initial impression. I ate mostly organic with loads of fruit and veggies prior to dx. After dx the professionals told me to gain weight so I gained over 20 pounds eating crap like ice cream. I have to say eating crap makes me feel worse and the weight gain makes me feel worse. Some of it might be psychological. I think I'm going back to heavy fruit and veggies.

The other thing was that the study said fat not good? What about all the coconut oil I'm downing every day and the other "good fat" I'm eating.

My gut is telling me to go back to eating healthy even though the ice cream (actually frozen greek yogure) tastes good.

Every time I read a new study, I get more confused.

I was ready to start the Lunasin until my free copper turned up high, now I don't know.

I didn't see any evidence pointing a smoking gun at "good fats." For instance, the indictment of milk skirts the issue of organic vs. not, whole vs. 2% vs. 1% vs. skim milk, etc. That greater consumption of beef, pork and lunch meat (all requiring a lot of energy to chew and digest) were implicated in progression makes a fair amount of sense, so that's more of what I would take from it. (That said, an occasional cheeseburger IMHO never did anyone any harm.)

But like all studies relying on self-reported diet, there's a grain of salt involved. I see the message of the combined studies so far as eating a variety of minimally processed foods, and I also see considerable justification for putting real food into feeding tubes, as opposed to corn-syrup-based formulas.

Coconut oil is a specific chain type, so I wouldn't be using that as my only fat, but I wouldn't rush to jettison it as part of the fat portfolio, if it seems to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back