what to think about this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good News. Now they need to test in humans.

I read on another site that supposedly a phase 1 safety trial is going to start in May in Australia. I have not been able to verify it but it does go along with what the researcher said in the link I posted although May seems incredibly quick. 50 PALS trial sites Sydney and Melbourne is what I read

Interesting new research

There is interesting new research at Oregon State University involving copper compounds. I will attempt to insert a link. If I fail to do this, the information can be found by googling Dr. Joe Beckman, Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University.

The ALS Forum - Research News

Sorry to repeat. I looked for this information thinking someone must have previously reported it but, obviously, didn't look in the right spot.

How do meds in ALS trials stand with respect to the "right to try" laws / petitioning a drug company to try a drug, regardless of outcome? Anyone know?

Buckhorn
it's very difficult to get anything done under right to try. Very political for the Drug Company, they also have to have completed, depending on state Phase1 or Phase2 of the trial. Then you have to get from them along with the correct protocol, which your Dr. or hospital have to agree on. Usually that means an IRB approval (internal review board) and even then the entire cost of the protocol is financially on you. If the drug company approves, and doesn't think it will hurt their funding for a trial..

Thanks Kelli. I am told by an Aussie friend who has SOD1 FALS that is going to be later than the April date but hopefully soon. Good news for SOD1 I think and perhaps for SALS as lowering SOD1 levels is supposed to be beneficial for them too

Buckhorn
it's very difficult to get anything done under right to try. Very political for the Drug Company, they also have to have completed, depending on state Phase1 or Phase2 of the trial. Then you have to get from them along with the correct protocol, which your Dr. or hospital have to agree on. Usually that means an IRB approval (internal review board) and even then the entire cost of the protocol is financially on you. If the drug company approves, and doesn't think it will hurt their funding for a trial..

Agreed. IMO right to try is nothing more than bureaucratic lip service...

This blog post summarizes the dim future of RTT laws. I think some of the posts in this thread are referring to "compassionate use," a different mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back